Delta 36-725 Repair help and warning
(12-11-2019, 03:41 PM)Darrell D. Wrote: Yes, I missed your post.  I think this could be a solution.  As I said above, the motor is at a shop, but wish I could check that lever now.  Maybe pull that switch and check it for function.  That would have been an easy check.  maybe sawdust in the switch or however that fan is tripping the lever, maybe that function is broken.  Again, those are some simple test, fixes I might have been able to make myself.

Darrell:  I've been watching and am eagerly awaiting the diagnosis of the motor guy....  hope this works out for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-11-2019, 03:14 PM)TDKPE Wrote: ..........The run capacitor is in the circuit all the time, by the way.  The start capacitor is in parallel with the run cap when starting, then only the start cap is removed once nearly up to speed by simply opening that part of the circuit..........
Fair enough, so the switch closes and lines the run and start caps in series.  I don't understand motors well enough to know that.  But for sure asking these questions and having the discussion is helping me a lot.  I remember years ago I had an old compressor that my dad gave me that ran on 110v.  I wanted to convert to 220, but it was so old that there was no wiring diagram.  But after a bunch of these discussions, someone gave me some good diagnostics and I was able to figure it out and was successful in getting it wired for 220.

With enough time, I'm sure you guys could help me figure it out.  But I thought it best to have a professional look at it, sense a screw up on my part could kill the motor for good.  But at this rate I may just pick it up and have a look myself.
_____
Darrell
UPDATE:
Got a call earlier from the repair guy.  
1. The motor seems to have a number of issues
2. He has been able to get it to run but only intermittently.
3. Found a broken wire, right where the power feed connects to the motor via the strain clip.  That is weird.
4. The little white device is a micro switch and he said when it ran it was sparking.  He has since replaced it with a new one.
5. In the process of testing, switching from 220v to 110v, found that the switch had issues.  Unfortunately it is broken in the process or removal.  Has a new one coming (sounds like from China).
6. He still thinks that there is some sort of internal wiring issue, that only lets the motor run for a minute or so, (like a poor connection that heats up and breaks connection, sort of what I was experiencing at the start).

Unfortunately the parts will take a while, if you have every ordered from China, the process can be slow (mostly waiting in customs here in the US.)

Really sounds like this motor has a lot of substandard parts.
_____
Darrell
Update 2:
1. As I mentioned above, one issue that the repair guy found was that he thought the switch that transitions from 110v to 220v was bad, and he broke the switch in the process of getting it out, so he couldnt fully test it.
2. He ordered a replacement on Amazon, but the one he got was coming from China.  I've ordered lots of stuff from China and I know that takes a long time, and I didnt want to wait.  I found one that was in the US and shipped it to him in a couple of days.
3. He was able to work on it today and got the new switch installed today, and said that it is running great.  So the 110/220V switch was the main issue.  He said the new switch was not an exact match in that it needs a jumper to make it work on 220V.  But he got the saw running.  So I hope to have it back by Monday.
_____
Darrell
Sounds like you'll have your saw going again, soon. I really like the design of that saw, but stuff like this makes me glad I have older machines.
Very cool. So this switch somehow automates the motor to be able to go from 110 to 220? Sounds like some excess engineering but as long as you have it figured out, then chalk all this up to increasing your repair skills. Happy Holidays
(12-20-2019, 06:58 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Very cool.  So this switch somehow automates the motor to be able to go from 110 to 220?  Sounds like some excess engineering but as long as you have it figured out, then chalk all this up to increasing your repair skills.  Happy Holidays

I believe it simply switches the wiring of the windings from series to parallel.
_____
Darrell
(12-20-2019, 06:58 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: Very cool.  So this switch somehow automates the motor to be able to go from 110 to 220?  Sounds like some excess engineering but as long as you have it figured out, then chalk all this up to increasing your repair skills.  Happy Holidays

Yes,  and I can't wait.  Was in the middle of a project that I want to finish.
_____
Darrell