Brand New Thomson Skew Blade Question
The Thompson 1 3/8" wide skew blade arrived last night. I'm disappointed. It seems much shorter than what I expected. (photo below)

What do you all think? Is this normal? For $137.00 delivered, it seems short to me. BUT I don't know what normal is, to be honest.

I look forward to hearing from all you turners.

Attached Files Image(s)

A bit short compared to my old sorby, but for this tool you could add a slightly longer handle if you wanted to keep the overall control characteristics like a longer skew. I don't use a skew very often so it wears very slowly.

This was the latest project I used my skew on.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I realize the skew wears down slowly, due to the fact that grinding only happens a small fraction of the time (because honing is used to sweeten up the cutter), but this appears to me to be much shorter than the photo on Thompson's website. (below)

Attached Files Image(s)

Yah that is pretty normal for any skews that are more then M2 since the longer it gets the more it will cost due to the steel.

Also instead of using the grinder to sharpen every time just use a fine stone or ceramic to sharpen the edges that is of course after you get the gouge the shape you want it and the first sharpening.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Seems normal to me. And no real port of reference to tell how long the ones in the website photo are.  Plenty of length to do the job and still give you the control you want
(12-07-2019, 10:14 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Also instead of using the grinder to sharpen every time just use a fine stone or ceramic to sharpen the edges that is of course after you get the gouge the shape you want it and the first sharpening.
Unless you're going to modify to a convex leading edge, no grind.  I'm a fan of diamond (and a bit of spit) for the fancy tool steels.  My high carbon tools work fine after a quick run with ceramic.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have the 1" Thompson and it is 6 1/8" compared to your 6".  I've had it about 4 years and still honing the edge on the original grind from Thompson.  For comparison, the 3/4" D-Way Skew as about the same dimension.  If you use the grinder to freshen the edge then the length might be more of a concern.  I have another 1" skew of M2 steel that is 7" in length but the hardened portion is only about 3" in length. The width of your 1 3/8" skew may make the 6" length look out of proportion.

Joe
I was a bit surprised when I first saw that skew in person. It did seem a bit short, but, yes, the width and thickness does make it seem shorter.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided that that skew is not intended for beginners so it is not expected to shorten rapidly from neophyte grinders. With that in mind, that length is likely a lifetime supply for most hobbyist turners.

If I remember correctly, Doug has to purchase that steel for the skews and scrapers by the sheet and have it rough-cut to shape (water jet machining/cutting IIRC). He then does (or did) the grind by hand for each tool.

So, he has the challenge of figuring a cost per tool that people are willing to pay versus how many tools can be cut out of a sheet of steel of that thickness. He also has to factor into that having to pay for all of the inventory up front. Considering the cost of money and the cost of selling at symposia, I do not think that Doug has a large profit margin on a tool (even before that large theft of his inventory last year).

I do remember that I got the last largish skew out of one of his previous production batches. I have not had much shop time this year and I am blanking on its dimensions. My go-to skew has been the larger of the 2 Lacer skews. I have kept the skew from Doug in the drawer until I get back into practice and decide which skew profile I want to be.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for the additional feedback Joe and IClark.
(12-05-2019, 09:56 AM)MidwestMan Wrote:  it seems short to me. 

I think your intuition is correct on the proportions.
If I were to buy a skew of that width and thickness, I'd want it to be at least 3" longer.
Consider that your fist takes up about 4" of the length regardless of the skew's steel dimensions.  There has to be some maneuvering length over the tool rest to get into cross grain paring on large stock where one would want a skew of that heft.
Look at some of the proportions of the skew chisels below.