Thoughts on Dewalt 733 Planer
I bought a (well) used Dewalt 733 Planer (the old school 2000's original benchtop planer) a few years ago.  It worked fine, but didn't come with the dust chute.  I bought a new set of knives for it and had the old knives sharpened, but can't find them and of course, I need the replace what's in there.

I'm really thinking about dumping it and buying a NIB Ridgid from CL for about $240.  Parts are readily available (shouldn't need any on a new unit except knives).  I don't think the Ridgid knives are re-sharpenable but it's not like I have a sharpener in my neighborhood anyway.
(12-10-2019, 03:23 PM)Rich_Dixon Wrote: I bought a (well) used Dewalt 733 Planer (the old school 2000's original benchtop planer) a few years ago.  It worked fine, but didn't come with the dust chute.  I bought a new set of knives for it and had the old knives sharpened, but can't find them and of course, I need the replace what's in there.

I'm really thinking about dumping it and buying a NIB Ridgid from CL for about $240.  Parts are readily available (shouldn't need any on a new unit except knives).  I don't think the Ridgid knives are re-sharpenable but it's not like I have a sharpener in my neighborhood anyway.

I'd expect you can buy NIB knives and probably a dust chute for the DeWalt for way less than that.  Unless you just want the other one.
I had a DW733 before my 735. Used a Ridgid 13000 (not sure if that number is right--the older respected) a few times. The old Ridgid was okay, but not in a class with the 733. Can't imagine the newer Ridgid would be a step up. If no cutter head lock (like on the 733), definitely not an improvement--that design needs one.
earl
Is the 733 in good shape other than the knives?

Put some money in a shelix head and you'll never think about knives again (unless you hit a nail, and that's a five-minute fix.)

and it'll be quieter too.
Big Grin
Big Grin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
The Dewalt 733 is an excellent portable planer and most likely superior to the Rigid. I had way less trouble with snipe with my 733 than the 735 I have now. Most likely because the 733 had a firm cutter head lock. I would buy a set of blades  and use it