Wood too thin? Bed rail QA
Idk how to subject this question.
I routed the pocket for the bed bolt nut on a bed rail (actually just on the practice piece right now). The rail is 1 3/8” thick but in the area of the pocket (about 1” x 1.25”) the face of the rail is about 3/16” thick. It’s just the way it works out with the bed bolt being in the center.
(The actual bed rails are 6”x 1 3/8” x 76”.)
Is that thin face in such a small area going to be a concern?
Should I off-center the bed bolt to the inside by, say, 1/8”?
There will also be two 3/8” aluminum dowels to keep alignment and assist in bearing weight.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks
Ray
(12-10-2019, 10:22 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Idk how to subject this question.
I routed the pocket for the bed bolt nut on a bed rail (actually just on the practice piece right now). The rail is 1 3/8” thick but in the area of the pocket (about 1” x 1.25”) the face of the rail is about 3/16”  thick. It’s just the way it works out with the bed bolt being in the center.
(The actual bed rails are 6”x 1 3/8” x 76”.)
Is that thin face in such a small area going to be a concern?
Should I off-center the bed bolt to the inside by, say, 1/8”?
There will also be two 3/8” aluminum dowels to keep alignment and assist in bearing weight.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks

The load bearing on the nut and bolt will come from above.  How much meat you have between the nut and the face of the rail is irrelevant.  What you have will be fine.  

John