Round head tack hammer use?
Just came across a tack hammer with a round head. Other side is split.
What is the rounded head used for?
For driving tacks, when you don't want to damage the surrounding material?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
When you say "round head," do you mean, "domed?"  If so, yes: drive tacks without damaging adjacent surface, or drive tacks into carpet. Time was, every household had a tack hammer for carpet tacks.

The split face was probably magnetized originally - the split turns that side of the head into a very narrow horseshoe magnet.  In my experience, they tend to lose their magnetism over the years.  Tack hammers with inserted magnets are better.
(12-12-2019, 01:24 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: When you say "round head," do you mean, "domed?"  If so, yes: drive tacks without damaging adjacent surface, or drive tacks into carpet.  Time was, every household had a tack hammer for carpet tacks.

The split face was probably magnetized originally - the split turns that side of the head into a very narrow horseshoe magnet.  In my experience, they tend to lose their magnetism over the years.  Tack hammers with inserted magnets are better.

Thanks. I guess domed is a better description.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
My ex-father-in-law (now deceased) was an old school upholsterer. He bought sanitized tacks and could set and drive tacks faster and more accurately than most folks can stale with a pneumatic staple gun. He could also measure fabric out to about 36" within 1/4" by eye. I guess 40 years of experience helps.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Has anyone had any luck "remagnatizing" a tack hammer. I tried a few methods years ago with no success. I probably have 5-6 old tack hammers in the shop and none have a working magnet.
Just need a strong magnet. Fix one pole of the magnet on one side of the split head. Wait a few minutes
and then put the opposing pole of the magnet on the other side of the head.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Gads!!!! I. Really. Am Old. Now!!! People don't know what a tack hammer is!. 
Crazy

If the magnet didn't work only little kids could hold the tack and tap it. That was our job when dad had upholstery or "tacking work" to do and the starter side lost grip. Start the nail. Lots of sore fingers and blood blisters. I also remember pounding longer ones through lath and laying booby traps for the neighbor kids when we played war. We were hellions.
(12-13-2019, 07:44 PM)hbmcc Wrote: If the magnet didn't work only little kids could hold the tack and tap it.

Stick tack through piece of paper.  Line up.  Tap with hammer until it's definitely started.  Yank paper off.
(12-14-2019, 12:11 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Stick tack through piece of paper.  Line up.  Tap with hammer until it's definitely started.  Yank paper off.

Or, put that little food machine who's being a pest to useful purpose. Dad was a teacher at heart, so it worked out both ways.