Slot Mortiser Strategies
Before I re-invent the wheel I thought I would seek the advice of the brain trust here on woodnet (and I mean that sincerely) regarding the best ways to clamp work on the moving table on a slot mortiser.  I am in the process of dialing in the slot mortising table on a Minimax FS41e jointer/planer.  The mortiser comes with a single clamping post and single clamp that looks stout enough, but I am thinking that it would be nice to have at least two points of clamping pressure on the workpiece. What say you?

(12-12-2019, 04:41 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Before I re-invent the wheel I thought I would seek the advice of the brain trust here on woodnet (and I mean that sincerely) regarding the best ways to clamp work on the moving table on a slot mortiser.  I am in the process of dialing in the slot mortising table on a Minimax FS41e jointer/planer.  The mortiser comes with a single clamping post and single clamp that looks stout enough, but I am thinking that it would be nice to have at least two points of clamping pressure on the workpiece. What say you?

I've been mostly happy with the single clamp on my older FS35 J/P.  On really long parts like door stiles, I put an outrigger under the end hanging out to support it. I've looked to see how to add a second clamp for those times when I thought one might help.  There are no obvious places that would be universal fit, at least on mine.  I'll be interested to follow along to see what others have done.

John
Based on the underwhelming response to this query, I am guessing that the total population of woodworkers that use a slot mortiser for mortising is relatively small: perhaps we will here from someone else (anyone?)?

(12-13-2019, 06:02 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've been mostly happy with the single clamp on my older FS35 J/P.  On really long parts like door stiles, I put an outrigger under the end hanging out to support it. I've looked to see how to add a second clamp for those times when I thought one might help.  There are no obvious places that would be universal fit, at least on mine.  I'll be interested to follow along to see what others have done.  

John
Ai have a laguna slot mortiser. I made a sub table that is held on with rare earth magnets and on top with kreg track on two edges I can use their klamps or a set of bimba style pneumatic hold dows i got from jds long ago.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(12-14-2019, 11:42 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Ai have a laguna slot mortiser. I made a sub table that is held on with rare earth magnets and on top with kreg track on two edges  I can use their klamps or a set of bimba style pneumatic hold dows i got from jds long ago.

I was thinking about a sub-table, but was having trouble with the attachment method. Rare earth magnets: brilliant! If you get a chance, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your table.
Here is first attempt at mortising, using a 1/4" birdsmouth cutter (Klein Systemi) and the stock clamping devices.  I spent some
time dialing in the parallelism of the table to the bit and got it to within a couple of thou front to back (or top to bottom if you will) parallel. I am impressed so far. Stay tuned for more exciting developments!

So I ended up making a fence incorporating a couple of MagJig magnets (thanks to Bloomington Mike for that idea). I also decided to incorporate an aftermarket clamp (Felder) which I think is better suited to the task at hand. The red ball is there to stop the control handle from going through the sliding glass door directly behind the machine. The green ball is there, well, because its Christmas, and even the shop gets decorated!

So I made a set of mortises today for some doors I am building. So far, I am pleased with the results:

The fence and clamp worked great, and surprisingly so did the dust collection.

I used a Rangate carbide birdsmouth bit and it did a fine job.

[attachment=23446 Wrote:Philip1231 pid='7815510' dateline='1579717956']So I made a set of mortises today for some doors I am building. So far, I am pleased with the results:

The fence and clamp worked great, and surprisingly so did the dust collection.

I used a Rangate carbide birdsmouth bit and it did a fine job.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike: I see you kept it simple
Smile Looks like a great setup! Give me some time, I am sure I can make my setup more complicated!