Cool miter fence idea or does it already exist?
(12-18-2019, 10:54 AM)jteneyck Wrote:  I bought my Dewalt GWI for $150 and it holds square really well.  There are good old RAS's to be had for cheap.  The smaller Dewalt MBF can often be had for less than $150 and they are fantastic trim saws.  But no common saw will give you perfect, repeatable accuracy outside of 90°, and any built in stops it may have.  I think that's what the crux of the OP's question revolves around.  

John

Wish I could've picked up my GA for that price. 
Upset

Doug
(12-19-2019, 01:00 PM)Tapper Wrote: Wish I could've picked up my GA for that price. 
Upset

Doug

Well that would be a heck of a deal.  The GA is a whole 'nother category from the GWI and MBF.   No higher precision but a big beast of a saw.   

John
I have about $250 in my Dewalt GWI Radial Arm Saw, including bearings and the replacement table build. 90 degrees steady, and resets to that after cutting angles. With the proper blade (i'm using a -5 rake Tenryu presently), it's way more accurate than my sliding miter saw will ever be--miter saw does its job as it should, cutting framing and such. I use the Dewalt SCMS as a construction tool and the old GWI RAS as a woodworking tool--they complement each other nicely that way (which is good justification to our household CFO for the separate tools!!)
earl
(12-19-2019, 04:41 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: That is correct.  Ive got a Makita 10 inch sliding miter saw but as said, the accuracy of it and repeatability aren't the best.  What I am looking for is a sled fence that can quickly and easily repeat various cut lengths.  The Incra fence does the fine adjust  but once I leave that position there it no returning to it easily.

Are you familiar with TigerStop?

John
(12-19-2019, 03:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Are you familiar with TigerStop?

John
My problem with most chop saws is that they use the "as cast" detents for indexing the cuts.  These are not particularly accurate.  The notable exception is the DeWalt line which uses a stamped plate for indexing, but uses a semi-flexible blade to index into the stamping.  But still a more repeatable way to index the cuts.

The miter saws that are used in the picture frame industry are fixed at 45 degrees and have two blades that cut simultaneously.  These are factory machined and set and if produced properly assure 100% accuracy on each cut. 

Some of these saws have programmable stops for making the cuts. 

But if you have a miter saw that allows for different angles, the accuracy is intrinsically compromised and the computer controlled stops will not overcome that issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-20-2019, 08:43 AM)Cooler Wrote: My problem with most chop saws is that they use the "as cast" detents for indexing the cuts.  These are not particularly accurate.  The notable exception is the DeWalt line which uses a stamped plate for indexing, but uses a semi-flexible blade to index into the stamping.  But still a more repeatable way to index the cuts.

The miter saws that are used in the picture frame industry are fixed at 45 degrees and have two blades that cut simultaneously.  These are factory machined and set and if produced properly assure 100% accuracy on each cut. 

Some of these saws have programmable stops for making the cuts. 

But if you have a miter saw that allows for different angles, the accuracy is intrinsically compromised and the computer controlled stops will not overcome that issue.

My understanding is the OP is asking about cutting parts to repeatable length, not angles.  

John
(12-20-2019, 09:49 AM)jteneyck Wrote: My understanding is the OP is asking about cutting parts to repeatable length, not angles.  

John
Yes.  And my contention is that a radial arm saw that is set accurately to 90 degrees and never moved will hold its setting and for $180.00 for the sled you can have a used RAS that is vastly more useful.  The digital stop was shown with a chop saw.  I think it is a waste on the chop saw because the angles are changed with each setting.  If you use the chop saw at 90 degrees all the time, it would be fine.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-20-2019, 12:00 PM)Cooler Wrote: Yes.  And my contention is that a radial arm saw that is set accurately to 90 degrees and never moved will hold its setting and for $180.00 for the sled you can have a used RAS that is vastly more useful.  The digital stop was shown with a chop saw.  I think it is a waste on the chop saw because the angles are changed with each setting.  If you use the chop saw at 90 degrees all the time, it would be fine.

The way I see it the type of saw is irrelevant to the OP's question.  

John
(12-20-2019, 01:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The way I see it the type of saw is irrelevant to the OP's question.  

John
Yes.  This was about repeatability of a fence after its moved for another length.  The Incra has all of those indents for repeating over an over.  Even if it wasn't my sled and we were talking about my SCMS I would still have the same question / concern.   I'm guessing this type of fence doesn't exist
(12-20-2019, 08:21 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: Yes.  This was about repeatability of a fence after its moved for another length.  The Incra has all of those indents for repeating over an over.  Even if it wasn't my sled and we were talking about my SCMS I would still have the same question / concern.   I'm guessing this type of fence doesn't exist

Did you look at the TigerStop and TigerFence?  The TigerStop is accurate and repeatable to +/- 0.004" on a mitersaw/RAS, etc..  The TigerFence is +/- 0.003" on a tablesaw.    

John