Water Wheel Sharpeners (Tormek)
(12-18-2019, 06:47 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I have an older model Grizzly with a 2" x 10" stone in a water bath. Same problem with the rusted nut. I heated the nut with a small butane torch and pried some rust off with an old screw driver. Between heat and PB Blaster I removed most of the rusty scale. I unbolted the pillow blocks and tapped the shaft off the stone and pillow blocks. I then polished the shaft and cleaned the pillow blocks before re-installing. 
I have a metal lathe so cleaning the shaft was easy. I turned the crap off each end before polishing. I greased the shaft before installing.

mike

I haven't had to remove the stone on my Jet but when the time comes I plan to use a strap around the stone itself to hold it while I use a box-end wrench on the nut..A few sharp raps on the wrench should break the nut loose. A three-prong wheel puller on the stone should remove it pretty easily.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Mark, did you decide on a plan?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-21-2019, 06:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Mark, did you decide on a plan?
I think I'm going to wait until the crack gets bigger.  It's usable now, and it might not be if my attempted repair goes south.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX