Popular Woodworking Sloyd cabinet
The current issue features a tool cabinet with the recommended basic kit for Sloyd woodworking.  Here's a picture, pulled from the magazine website:

The article has a couple of other pictures of the cabinet.  The door mounts flush with the base of the cabinet; that is, the base of the cabinet is under the bottom of the door when the door is closed.

But it sure looks to me like the toes of both saws hang down below the door.  Am I missing something?  Are these special saws that can pull their toes up, like a little kid who finds out the water is colder than s/he thought?

I sent an e-mail to the address listed in the magazine for the editors, but it was kicked back to me because the address is "not found" at the company.

I'm getting closer and closer to cancelling this subscription.  It's too bad.  It was a good magazine, going way back before Schwarz and Fitzpatrick, but it seems like it's in terminal decline now.
I briefly looked at that issue in a bookstore over the weekend and wondered the same thing.

Didn't purchase it, although I was slightly interested in it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(12-16-2019, 12:28 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: The current issue features a tool cabinet with the recommended basic kit for Sloyd woodworking.  Here's a picture, pulled from the magazine website:

The article has a couple of other pictures of the cabinet.  The door mounts flush with the base of the cabinet; that is, the base of the cabinet is under the bottom of the door when the door is closed.

But it sure looks to me like the toes of both saws hang down below the door.  Am I missing something?  Are these special saws that can pull their toes up, like a little kid who finds out the water is colder than s/he thought?

I sent an e-mail to the address listed in the magazine for the editors, but it was kicked back to me because the address is "not found" at the company.

I'm getting closer and closer to cancelling this subscription.  It's too bad.  It was a good magazine, even in the years before Schwarz and Fitzpatrick, but it seems like it's in terminal decline now.

Bill Rainford is the author. Quick scan of the article and there is this bit addressing the saws:

Square Hooks

Square hooks are used to secure your folding rule and try square to the door. These simple little hooks do a surprisingly good job of keeping those tools in place. When laying them out make sure to use the actual tool(s) for reference and make sure they don’t interfere with the saws, the drawer or the ability to close the door.

His web site is: https://rainfordrestorations.com/
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Looks to me as if the photographer grabbed a couple of handy saws for the photo and they didn't think anyone would look closely enough to see they are too long.
(12-16-2019, 01:15 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Looks to me as if the photographer grabbed a couple of handy saws for the photo and they didn't think anyone would look closely enough to see they are two long.

Yes, both of those two are too long.
--------
Thanks, Rob Young, for the link to Bill Rainford's site. He got back to me quickly and explained that his cabinet was designed to the original specifications, and that his L-N saws were a touch longer, but that he was not about to cut inches off his saws for the sake of the article. Why Popular Woodworking didn't find suitable saws and re-photograph the cabinet is beyond me.
(12-16-2019, 01:25 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Yes, both of those two are too long.

Yup.  I guess you have to cut down those two LN saws (@$225 each) down to 18 1/2".  And it's the cover photo too!  Somebody wasn't paying attention, that's for sure.

[Image: pwwdec2019cover.jpg?w=448&h=600]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Some of you guys are pretty observant.
Remember seeing a few Tool Boxes...where the handle of the brace was also the handle to carry the tool box around with.....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
It is the responsibility of a writer to get in an article with the photographs properly shot, unless the photo work is done by the editor as part of the contract. Never the obligation of the editor to reshoot photographs even if she is in possession of the object (usually not the case).

In this case, the editor may have missed what the OP noticed, or chosen to go ahead with the deficiency given a deadline to meet.

The writer said he wouldn't make his saws shorter. He could have borrowed saws or shot the lead image with the two saws placed down just in front of the cabinet or leaning against it.

Imagine asking a publisher to reshoot an outdoor photograph because the contributor did not do his job right to start with!

Simon
(12-16-2019, 03:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Imagine asking a publisher to reshoot an outdoor photograph because the contributor did not do his job right to start with!

I've done this more often then you'd believe.. 

(as the photographer)
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life