Popular Woodworking Sloyd cabinet
(12-18-2019, 01:03 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Seasonal movement: saw plate expands x cm as a result of humidity change of y %......

Simon
Or it could be a temperature thing: when the shop temperature gets down to -10 Fahrenheit, the saws might fit just fine. And, if you're a Minnesota or North Dakota woodworker, at that temperature, you'll be fine. You might need to button up the flannel shirt, maybe, and the coffee will need to be in the better insulated cup, but otherwise....
No Steve (Bandit), yours is just a high-water tool chest. Stop cheating! 
Big Grin  It may qualify for a Chris S[ch]loyd, however.

I have seen a couple online sources for Opinel, Frost knives that always show up in sloyd-type documents. But most--I had one for fishing--slip and attempt to separate parts of fingers from the handle grip. Mine died from a throwing contest when fishing was poor. Pocket knives are more practical, anyway.

And, don't Thrift Store those old rags. My County's Library system's major source of income is through sales of donated books and magazines. Stuff that is useful, like tool and wood magazines, move fast. At two-bits a cover I have a lot of entertainment and information for almost free. I just return them to the sale shelf. Note: libraries can't keep periodicals longer than a year. They trash (recycle) theirs by agreement with publishers.

Yah, Bill, the direction some of these threads go blows my mind. And, why would anyone want to use oil stones to sharpen tools? Look at that grease blob waiting to ruin my clothes, because I can't use good detergent anymore. But then, look at the glitter all over me from friend hugging a girl; the same crap that is killing sea life!

Now, back to regular programming.....
It's interesting, in his blog post he lists the saws as Pax brand saws, but the photo shows LN panel saws.  I wonder if the Pax saws fit in the box better?

DC
(12-17-2019, 08:35 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: It looks to me as if one of two things happened.  Either the cabinet was built with a different pair of handsaws in mind (and maybe the builder/editor/photographer wanted nicer looking saws in the cover photo), or the cabinet was built as an exact replica of the original with no consideration of the actual tools it would contain...

I expect there is another option as to what happened, that is more likely the case. Pop Wood has posted the entire article, along with the dimensional drawing at the end. Note how one view shows the height of the cabinet to be 22-½” while the side view shows the cabinet to be 25”. The picture of the original cabinet shows a height of 25-½”. My suspicion is that the cabinet was actually built to 22-½” tall, when it should have been at least 25”. Even at 25”, the LN Panel saws would be at best a tight fit. TFWW sells a Pax Panel saw, but at 22” plus the handle it is longer than the LN saws. Don’t know if they make shorter ones?

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/artic...l-cabinet/
(12-18-2019, 10:14 AM)DCarr10760 Wrote: It's interesting, in his blog post he lists the saws as Pax brand saws, but the photo shows LN panel saws.  I wonder if the Pax saws fit in the box better?

DC

No, they just fold easier.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(12-18-2019, 10:57 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: I expect there is another option as to what happened, that is more likely the case. Pop Wood has posted the entire article, along with the dimensional drawing at the end. Note how one view shows the height of the cabinet to be 22-½” while the side view shows the cabinet to be 25”. The picture of the original cabinet shows a height of 25-½”. My suspicion is that the cabinet was actually built to 22-½” tall, when it should have been at least 25”. Even at 25”, the LN Panel saws would be at best a tight fit. TFWW sells a Pax Panel saw, but at 22” plus the handle it is longer than the LN saws. Don’t know if they make shorter ones?

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/artic...l-cabinet/

[Image: 1912_pw_fea_sloyd_tool_cabinet-1-10-663x1024.jpg]

Yeah, there's something off about the dimensions here.  The dimensions of the Cabinet Exterior (upper left, part "C") don't match the rest of the drawings.  According to all the other images, the overall height is 25" and the overall width is 17".  But on the Cabinet Exterior image (upper left), overall width is marked as 16 1/2", where it should be 17".  The height is marked as 22 1/2", but the markings show what should be 24".  

Regardless, it looks like the whole cabinet was originally designed to accommodate two small panel saws, probably 18" long.  On a panel saw, the handle will add 4"-5" to the blade's length, so an 18" panel saw would fit comfortably in a 24" interior.  

FWIW, Lie Nielsen panel saws are 20" saws, and measure 24 1/8" overall (according to their website--I don't own one).  

So no, the saws don't fit the 24" interior.  Looking closely at the cover photo, I can see that in addition to hanging down below the bottom of the door, the saws are also hung with their horns about 1" below the very top of the door (due to the hanging hardware being used there).  It wasn't built with those saws in mind.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(12-17-2019, 09:12 AM)hbmcc Wrote: This is a "sloyd" cabinet? Where's the sloyd knife? I don't see a sloyd knife. I don't see any knife. 

And, why would I want a can of oil dribbling a greasy mess all over inside and creeping outside the case? I don't even own an oil can. Haven't had one since I was a kid 60 years ago, when I oiled my bike chain and could sneak out of the yard before Mom found a chore or two for me.

Anything else I can nit-pik? ....

A friend of mine grew up in Finland 60 years ago, and while they all carried knives and learned to use them in school, along with many hand skills, he had never heard of Sloyd.
(12-18-2019, 10:07 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: A friend of mine grew up in Finland 60 years ago, and while they all carried knives and learned to use them in school, along with many hand skills, he had never heard of Sloyd.

That's because in Finland they follow the Phukkaa(sp) Knife School... Just kidding.
Big Grin 

Regarding the whole fashion of "schools" of process and learning, I think the game is to keep an abundant supply of stimulating products in front of consumers. Functional design is not the goal; the goal is variety exclusive of function. In this case variety, sloyd tool box, slammed into functional failure, saws too long. Thank G. for waste troughs in workbenches.
(12-17-2019, 08:35 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: If you look REALLY closely, you'll notice that the handsaw on the left isn't even hanging on the hook.  Its toe is sitting on the bottom of the tool well in the benchtop, and the handle doesn't quite seat into the hook.  The saw on the left has its handle hanging firmly in the hook, although its toe also drops below the door.  

It looks to me as if one of two things happened.  Either the cabinet was built with a different pair of handsaws in mind (and maybe the builder/editor/photographer wanted nicer looking saws in the cover photo), or the cabinet was built as an exact replica of the original with no consideration of the actual tools it would contain.  

A magazine that publishes how-to articles has got to understand that many readers are going to be paying extremely close attention to every detail in every photograph.  That's how you build a project from a magazine article.  From an editorial perspective, that's just kind of sloppy work.

Is Photoshop really that difficult?
Weren't those Tool Chests meant to be hung up on a wall, anyway?  
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that