chisel holder
I am about to embark on sharpening all my chisels and am wondering if you all out there have a favorite chisel holder to ensure keeping the angles correct?  I have tried it by hand but with poor success.  Thanks for any feedback.
(12-16-2019, 03:54 PM)weelis Wrote: I am about to embark on sharpening all my chisels and am wondering if you all out there have a favorite chisel holder to ensure keeping the angles correct?  I have tried it by hand but with poor success.  Thanks for any feedback.

I have several and use the one that best fits the situation; an old Stanley #200; General makes a good knockoff, the #800 but I don't know if the General one is still in production, you'd have to find a vintage one;
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.toolexchange.com.au...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.toolexchange.com.au...f=1&nofb=1]

the Eclipse knockoff, simple yet effective:  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...ning-guide, and the Veritas "simple" one:  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...ing-system

The Veritas one is likely the most versatile, and has the jig for setting the angle.

Lately, however, I freehand mostly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-16-2019, 03:54 PM)weelis Wrote: I am about to embark on sharpening all my chisels and am wondering if you all out there have a favorite chisel holder to ensure keeping the angles correct?  I have tried it by hand but with poor success.  Thanks for any feedback.

I use the Veritas Mark II. It gives me consistent results and is easy to set up and use.
I have the motorized Mark II
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I am starting to use an Eclipse style (side clamping) jig more often for parallel-sided stuff that fits in the jig. I also have a Kell jig bit do noot use that much except for small stuff, I have both the Veritas jigs: regular (top clamping) and small with mortise chisel attachment (side clamping). The top clamper requires a little care to get the pressure from the two clamping screws equal. Otherwise, the blade will get out of square.

If I had to pick a single jig, it would be the Veritas. It is the most versatile and has served me well ever since the Mk II version came out. The Eclipse style jig, with an angle setting jig as described by one C. Schwarz, is really fast to get going - for parallel-sided blades. The Kell will handle small chisels well which is why I bought it bit then Veritas came out with their small chisel guide.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
My favorite is the one from lienielsen. It is not inexpensive however it is very well made.

Before I got that I used a normal eclipse guide.
I don't think you can find anything better than the LV Mark II, with the chisel holder.  It does a great job holding chisels -  even my 1/8 inch wide one, and setting the angle is a breeze, so it adding a micro bevel, so long as you remember to set the axle mount the correct direction before you start sharpening on the coarse stone.   Even when I forget, it is still pretty easy to go back to the registration jig, and eyeball and extra degree or so.

That's too ambitious for me! I start my dozen, or so, Japanese pieces with that very goal in mind, and two hours later might have the widest one where it should be. I follow the time honored tradition of a dead flat bevel. I'm usually flat after 90 minutes.

I use the Eclipse style.
Mine is a single roller, BLUE..Irwin-Marples holder.....and, I use an old Veritas MK1 angle setter to set the angle I want.   Guide came with a stone....threw that away.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I made this one with a full length roller underneath that works fine. The angle adjusts easily, starting at midway about 30*.

[Image: zzb8AQH.jpg]