Christmas lights for the drill press
Hey, it's a new drill press, and it's Christmas. So I added a Wixey laser guide ...

[Image: Wixey1.jpg]

It tucks away and is quite unobtrusive ...

[Image: Wixey2.jpg]

It leaves a nice, clean line ...

[Image: Wixey3.jpg]

... but it is a little wider than expected. The jury is out whether it is just a gimmick, or whether it will prove to be useful.

Good lighting is helpful. On my old drill press I used a LED book light. This was transferred over ..

[Image: DP11a.jpg]

It occurred to me to try another light I have used on other equipment, and that I should pass this on to everyone.

Light off ...

[Image: light3.jpg]

Light on ...

[Image: light4.jpg]

For such a small light, it is very bright ...

[Image: light5.jpg]

[Image: light6.jpg]

... and cheap (from eBay) ...

[Image: light7.jpg]

Adds light to the bandsaw ...

[Image: light8.jpg]

... and bench grinder ..

[Image: light9.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I do look forward to your impressions of this drill press. It's software settings to aid tapping metal interest me greatly.
I've never quite mastered the acts of tap and die work.
Those button lamps are also available from Amazon and Home Depot for less than $10.
As I age, I notice that lights go from being a nicety to a necessity.
I don't particularly like some led light waves as they bother the eyes, so I didn't give much credit to the led light that came with the drill press.
But then I gave it a try and wouldn't do without it now- it has the right color.

What I do like the most is the ability to arrange the light in almost any position I need for any given drilling operation.

When marking metal, it can be hard to see the mark if the light isn't right.

When the light is from above, I can't see the mark;

[Image: WtJWDJW.jpg]

With the light pulled down and more horizontal, I can better see the mark;

[Image: hQvsB2u.jpg]

I do like this flexible light.

[Image: cx2Ql13.jpg]
(12-18-2019, 12:53 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: I do look forward to your impressions of this drill press. It's software settings to aid tapping metal interest me greatly.
I've never quite mastered the acts of tap and die work.

Derek, I'm interested in your opinions of the Nova DP, too.

I'm almost decided to replace my cheap, runout-handicapped DP.  I've narrowed it down to the Nova or the Powermatic.  The Powermatic brand is well-known to me.  I have only ever used one Nova machine -- a lathe -- one time.  The two machines are essentially at the same price point as far as I'm concerned.

My wants are accuracy (lack of runout), ease of depth control, and ease of speed changes.  Regarding speed changes:  I absolutely detest having to get on a step stool to fuss with finicky belt adjustments.
It will be a while before I am ready to write a review of the Nova Voyager. My initial impressions are that it is a solid and well-built machine.

It was difficult to avoid thinking about the longevity of this machine owing to the advanced electronics and computerised features. I am much biased towards simple machines where I can find any faults and fix them myself (I spent 12 years rebuilding a 1957 Porsche 356A - body and motor - but in the 10 yeas I have owned a Boxster S, I have not yet seen the engine. All work is done by a computer and my friendly mechanic). However, I decided to trust the reputation of Nova, which is excellent, as well as justifying that I will have my monies-worth if it lasts 20 years.

One if the complaints of the Nova lathes is the buttons. They are touch-sensitive electronic. I have a Nova Saturn, and in the early months this was my bug bear. This issue went away when I realised that there was an old habit of stabbing at buttons which could not be applied here. One must instead press the button firmly. Of course, the Nova Voyager has the same buttons, and the same method of use applies. This done, the controls are easy. So far, the layout and controls of the Voyager are easy to read and quite intuitive. I have not had much time in the workshop (am currently holidaying in Austria and Germany), but the little time reveals a very powerful motor (240v gets you 2hp), with a easy swing and wide table. I built my own subtable, but then I imagine most would do this anyway. The only negative so far is the height adjuster, which moves easily in the vertical, but has sloppy lateral movement. For the price I would expect something with precision. It is not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of insofar as losing the centreline. Repositioning is easy, and the table locks down solidly.

There appear to be a whole host of additions one can add. For example, I think that this drill is a natural for a drum sander (owing to the variable speed as well as the strength of the arbor), and I plan to build a table to drop on.

More later.

Regards from Vienna

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Oh, so many questions, but I'll continue my research for now.

Enjoy your travels, Derek! Vienna is beautiful, regardless of season.

I'm traveling as well to visit daughter and son-in-law.

So, to paraphrase,

Regards from Las Vegas.