Spofford Brace Find
The attraction of a Spofford brace is its simplicity and apparent lightness. I have a couple of 10” ones. What I am not a fan of is the tendency they have to have a slightly loose head/rest (I do not know the correct term). The connection seems to wear, and it becomes very difficult to tighten.

By comparison, the more complex (mechanically speaking) Bell System braces are taut. Both are a delight to use, just different.

I have a beautiful 12” Miller’Falls, which is similar in design/concept to the Spofford, tautly made and just beautiful. My favourite brace.

[Image: IDeclare-This-Bench-Finished-html-795dc9c9.jpg]

[Image: IDeclare-This-Bench-Finished-html-m3e3f75d4.jpg]

[Image: Drill-bits1.jpg]

Regards from Vienna

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I imagine that I could walk downtown right now....and pick up a "spofford" clone...last one I saw was $10...with a bit....seems for every 3 or 4 "normal" braces I see..there is at least one Fay brace...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Weren't there braces with the holder open for square shank bits? I was just a kid but I remember Dad demonstrating Grandpa's. Hold the bit in until it was pressed into the starter point. Looked much like the OP's.
(12-20-2019, 01:12 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I imagine that I could walk downtown right now....and pick up a "spofford" clone...last one I saw was $10...with a bit....seems for every 3 or 4 "normal" braces I see..there is at least one Fay brace...

Should put that on your to do list
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

First...I would need the spare $10....plus the $0.70 for sales tax.....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'm on the mailing list for a used tool seller back East.  I've only ever purchased one small item from the seller, but I stay on because she sends out pictures of diverse and interesting tools; and I regularly get to find out that I scored on some tool or other, having paid far less than she's asking.

One of her recent mailings referred to a "Scottish style brace."  The picture was of a brace that used a setscrew pressing against the shank of the bit, like those pictured here, for instance to the right (from Bandit's post up on Page 1):

So that's one mystery solved, at least for me; a distinction between the Spofford style and the Scottish style.