Kitchen Saw Recreated
(12-19-2019, 11:02 AM)RonB1957 Wrote: Stainless or spring steel? Thought about making cake knives at one point, but someone would probably put it in the dishwasher.
Crazy

People who put kitchen knives in the dishwasher do not deserve such nice things. 
Smirk
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
(12-19-2019, 11:16 AM)mstens Wrote: People who put kitchen knives in the dishwasher do not deserve such nice things. 
Smirk

Agree on both counts.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
(12-19-2019, 11:13 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Ron,

I looked around a bit for stainless spring steel, but didn't find any that I liked (or what I was willing to pay). These knives were made of 0.042" 1095 blue tempered steel. That said, there are many high quality chef's knives that are made from carbon steel. I have several myself. As long as they are dried right away after washing and occasionally wiped with oil, there are no issues with rusting.

Just wondering. I don't get them anymore because I have plenty but one can pick up hand saws at an auction usually to go for 5 for a dollar and it is had for them to get a dollar. What is wrong with just using old saw plate ? It can always be cleaned up.

And for the record the 1095 is the AISI  ( American Iron and Steel Institute ) and it is plane carbon steel with no allowing elements and it has ( decimal point ) .95 percent carbon and anything .60 and over is considered full hardening tool steel.  In generalities 0-30 non hardenable. 30-60 simi  hardenable.  This is a general statement that might be made the opening day of a metals class.

So most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1045 and 1095 if making a knife.
(12-25-2019, 09:36 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Just wondering. I don't get them anymore because I have plenty but one can pick up hand saws at an auction usually to go for 5 for a dollar and it is had for them to get a dollar. What is wrong with just using old saw plate ? It can always be cleaned up.

And for the record the 1095 is the AISI  ( American Iron and Steel Institute ) and it is plane carbon steel with no allowing elements and it has ( decimal point ) .95 percent carbon and anything .60 and over is considered full hardening tool steel.  In generalities 0-30 non hardenable. 30-60 simi  hardenable.  This is a general statement that might be made the opening day of a metals class.

So most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1045 and 1095 if making a knife.

Tom, folks seem to like clean and shiny tools in their kitchen. The spring steel comes in coils in various widths and thicknesses. I bought 0.042" x 1 3/4" steel in a 25 foot roll and cut the blades to length. Quick and easy!

The steel in vintage saws is closest to 1070. While 1070 tempered steel is available from a few sources, 1095 is readily available and reasonably priced.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
They really look nice.

Just a question tho.  Just how does it cut with the teeth squared off??

Also if you would like some nice figured walnut I would love to send you some for free.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-27-2019, 01:34 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: They really look nice.

Just a question tho.  Just how does it cut with the teeth squared off??

Also if you would like some nice figured walnut I would love to send you some for free.

I think the squared off look is an optical illusion...I saw it that way at first as well...
(12-27-2019, 03:11 PM)brianwelch Wrote: I think the squared off look is an optical illusion...I saw it that way at first as well...

I was trying to figure out what the heck you guys were talking about. Then I looked at the picture again. The camera angle does make the tip of the tooth look blunt.

The serrations and the flats are actually both filed at about 45 degrees.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com