Boxes
First box is curly spalted BLM with African blackwood corner posts and the lid is plum with Santos mahogany strips and African blackwood pulls with polished brass pins.

Next is curly spalted BLM with Santos mahogany and the lid is curly maple with ropey quilt/pommele sapele (figure reminds me of heavy paint runs) with a handle of African blackwood.

Cellulose runs through my veins!
(12-19-2019, 10:01 AM)SteveS Wrote: Next is curly spalted BLM with Santos mahogany and the lid is curly maple with ropey quilt/pommele sapele (figure reminds me of heavy paint runs) with a handle of African blackwood.

Nice to see tasteful contrast, not easy to pull off -- well done. How did you make the grooves on the handle?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I used a mini carving gouge. African blackwood carved easier than I thought it would. It carved as easily as gabon ebony.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Beautiful wood displayed beautifully. Great job. I have never done boxes but all of the ones I keep seeing on this site might get me motivated to try some. Most of my work is round turney things. I use all different woods for the patterns, but don;t have any figured wood. Will have to keep my eyes open and see if i can find some.
(12-19-2019, 12:17 PM)Aram Wrote: Nice to see tasteful contrast, not easy to pull off -- well done.

What Aram said.

Well done.

Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Maybe my best box - a solid cherry tool box:

I really enjoyed making it -- two of them. I gave one to a friend. It includes a lift-out tray (not shown here).
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Very handsome boxes.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Pretty boxes. If they are gifts, they will be loved by the recipient, I'm sure. What is blm? I googled it and came up with bureau of land management wood. It looks like tiger maple on my tablet. Good work, keep it up.
BLM = big leaf maple
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Those are a couple of beautiful boxes.  Nice work.