Reindeer 2019

[attachment=22349]
the starting mat.
whats left of a burl, that I used for last years reindeer

a piece of mahogany, that I was given by former co worker

a piece of air dried walnut,  urban salvage, part of a trade for some 4X4 oak dunnage

more later

Bob

Attached Files Image(s)

Well, you know how we are out here in the West. Cowboys, Indians and Whores. That's about it.     MontainWood 1 / 28 / 14

all laid out , holes drilled, need to change blade on band saw.
Then I see what the lower bearings look like & its time for some maint.

2 mahogany ones for the bil that gave me the burl, he's into sail boats

4 walnut for my buddy, 2 for his family, & 2 for his inlaws

1 burl one to finish my set from last year

Bob
Well, you know how we are out here in the West. Cowboys, Indians and Whores. That's about it.     MontainWood 1 / 28 / 14
They are going to be nice! Every year your post (or a similar one) inspires me to make sure I have the pattern.

Then I proceed to do nothing. Perhaps this weekend I can break that pattern.

all taped up, I do not know why I missed taking any pics, while I was cutting them out

Alright, now have them all sanded to 150 grit, using my Ridgid  O/S

moving on

Bob

Now a final hand sanding to 220

don't think OSHA would like my drying oven.
It did cause me problems, with a couple of the lacquer pieces.
put them at about 95 F. & I had a bunch of bubble holes to sand out.
Angry 
using Deft on 6 pcs.  First time I have used lacquer.
using varnish on the burl pc. because thats what I used on the burl ones from last year.

Bob
(12-20-2019, 12:17 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: They are going to be nice! Every year your post (or a similar one) inspires me to make sure I have the pattern.

Then I proceed to do nothing. Perhaps this weekend I can break that pattern.

Thanks Chuck
once you start, they get real popular, & you can spend much time turning them out

But they are a very good way to use up all those odd short pcs. we all end up with.

Bob
Those are very cool!
Do any of them ever get to be Rudolph 
Winkgrin
These are perfect, but a possible addition could be a bottle-opener in the antlers. I mean, if you were going to sell these.
(12-20-2019, 10:54 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Those are very cool!
Do any of them ever get to be Rudolph 
Winkgrin

I don't think  so, but I have given/traded 20 or  away. So you never know
(12-20-2019, 11:52 PM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: These are perfect, but a possible addition could be a bottle-opener in the antlers. I mean, if you were going to sell these.

Thank you but no, the necks on them, are fragile.  One I made last year, I glued that *&^%$# together 3 times

Bob