Junction boxes in false ceiling
It has been 20 years since I have had to have remodeling wiring inspected. Am now finishing an unfinished basement for living space. I will be installing a suspended ceiling so utilities can easily be serviced. Does NEC allow junction boxes be installed in residential suspended ceilings?
(12-21-2019, 11:41 AM)WJB Wrote: It has been 20 years since I have had to have remodeling wiring inspected.  Am now finishing an unfinished basement for living space. I will be installing a suspended ceiling so utilities can easily be serviced.  Does NEC allow junction boxes be installed in residential suspended ceilings?

Yes, it is considered accessible because normally all you do is lift out panels.  The junction boxes need a cover on them.  Roly (If this is a drywall ceiling, then no as you have to cut a opening )
Thanks, Roly. I assumed this is the case. Just wanted confirmation.
It's treated no different than a commercial application.

One thing that you can't do is have a wire penetrate the ceiling plane. IE you can't say mount a TV on the wall and run a wire to an outlet above the ceiling and then notch the ceiling tile around the cable. You will see this all the time in commercial buildings but it is a no no. You have to install an outlet in the ceiling tile to do it properly.
Thanks Robert, that is definitely something that I will not be doing.
(12-21-2019, 04:48 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: It's treated no different than a commercial application.

One thing that you can't do is have a wire penetrate the ceiling plane. IE you can't say mount a TV on the wall and run a wire to an outlet above the ceiling and then notch the ceiling tile around the cable. You will see this all the time in commercial buildings but it is a no no. You have to install an outlet in the ceiling tile to do it properly.

Robert, is this any application or only if the space above is used as an air return plenum?
You can put a receptacle above a drop ceiling anywhere, you just aren't allowed to plug a flexible cord into it. So its sorta like a service receptacle only.

If you're doing a hard ceiling you can always place a box behind an old work can light or with the use of the new thin wafer LEDs you can put a junction above them.