Just a pile of scraps...

Left over Ash.    Decided to resaw this mess down a bit....some were just under 1/2" thick..

Actually, about 0.445"..more or less....then there was the cut-offs..

Most were 0.290" thick, some a bit thicker....

None were flat...we have ways..
Rolleyes

Sorted through the thicker parts...resaw a few edges....found 5 strips about the same size...and cross cut til the matched, then glue and clamps..
Rolleyes

And set this aside.   Sorted through a few wider strips....found 2 that were the longest of the bunch...one was a tad too long...we have ways..

Until I had 2 that were ~11" long.....then repeat to find a couple 6-1/2" long...

Then laid out to do box joints...using a chisel to "size" the fingers...

Backsaw to make a few cuts...

Then the same chisel to do a little chopping...

Ends of 2 long sides are done....
Cool

Part 2 coming up, stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Most of the "work" was getting these slats the same size, and flat.    Stanley #3 was used a lot.   Joint a few edges, plane sides flat....Wanted the parts to side in the vise.

So 2 parts looked like one.   Lay out the fingers, using the width of the 6mm Mortise chisel.   Once things were all marked out, Then I could drop the pair down low in the vise, so they wouldn't vibrate from the saw...

Then a square and a knife, to score a "base line"....then clamp one part to the bench...chop 1/2 way down at each finger.   Flip the board other, and repeat...
Once the first two sets were all nicely done..

I could repeat at the other ends of these two boards.    Then marked one of the short ends as a "1" to match one of the long sides.   Lay out the fingers, cut the waste sides of the lines, chop the waste away...and hope it fits...
Rolleyes  

Will do for one corner...only 3 more to do....

Spent a little over 2 hours in the shop, today....was getting a bit tired out.....there's always tomorrow.   Might see about milling a groove for a plywood bottom, after the fingers are all done.  Glue up is for a lid.   And..there might be enough "leftovers" for a second, smaller box.    The thins?    Maybe a tray, or maybe some dividers?

Stay tuned....
Respect for hand-cut joinery. And that bench is the woodworking personification of Johnny Cash while he was singing Hurt.
Steve, I thought you were on medical leave? You're killing that scrap! 
Big Grin
Boredom...
Rolleyes 

Got the ends done, tonight...
Winkgrin 

Mark them out, saw on the waste side of the lines, trying to leave the lines...Chisel from both faces, until the squares pop out...test fit a few 

Then clamp all the parts together...

And check the fits...
Rolleyes 

Need to set up a plane...to plow a groove for the bottom panel...

Then I can fine tune the corners, and maybe do a glue up....
Lets see....Stanley #3 needed a sharpening....AND the #12 cutter for the Stanley #45....got those done.   Then set up a jig of sorts..
Rolleyes 

Nothing fancy, just enough to hold things still, long enough to plow a groove...
Winkgrin  

Then needed to just move a couple screws, to do the longer sides..

Plywood scrap I was using to check things with...was a bit thinner than the panel I was going to use, for the bottom...anyway, got 4 grooves milled..

And made sure they all lined up....Then a few marks to cut the plywood to size....was still too thick...so...

Stanley #60-1/2 to make a beveled edge all the way around, both faces....then a dry fit..

Mainly to get the clamps ready.   Then spread some glue on the fingers...mine included...and started adding clamps 

Flip this mess over, check the corners for square.   Add a couple more clamps.   Some of those clamps were removed from the lid...

Lid will be the next item on the list,  needs flattened out.  May get to the shop after a while today....remove the forest of clamps, and clean up the box's corners.

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
I love to see your works in progress.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Finger joints be hand, eh? I always go for dovetails in that situation, but only because I think they look nicer. But as long as the joints are tight, it’s rock-solid joinery.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Clamps came off, clean up began..
Winkgrin  

Between the plane, and the sanders, got the corners dressed up..

Looking along the longer side of the box...

And one of the shorter sides...soon had all 4 corners done..
Cool

Time to get the lid down to size...trimmed for length, but...

Width was a bit different.   There WAS a large knot along one edge, trimmed that off....then cobbled a lift/handle in the other edge...
Cool

Lid itself, had a couple thinner sections, decided to "resaw" the thicker parts away....then scrub away what the tablesaw couldn't reach..

And a few burn marks....Corsair #C-5, 8" radius camber....then sanded things smooth...

Almost done, had that one spot to level out....Lid is 3/8" thick....might be a bit of a challenge when looking for a few hinges? 
Confused

May build a base for this to sit in, and see above a few dividers for the inside....Kind of shallow (2") to make a tray?  We'll see
Confused

Lumber run yesterday, three planks 4/4 x 6 x 9'......$12.   All quarter sawn Ash.  Had to cut them down a bit, to fit in the van....now standing up, getting used to the house.  Average length is now about 54".    Stash is now up to 8 such boards.   Since my supplier is now heading to the land down under ( Sydney) I thought I had better stock up.
Winkgrin
Stay tuned.....I be moving at the speed of smell..
Rolleyes
planks...
Confused

planks...
Winkgrin  

end grain...

Might be able to find some use for these 8 boards?
Rolleyes