Broken bandsaw blade repair?
Has anyone repaired their own broken bandsaw blade?
I found a nice 3/4 inch blade but it's too long for my 14 inch Delta bandsaw.
I've always wanted to try a 3/4 inch blade.
Without a bandsaw blade welder what's the best way to weld, braze or solder it?
I saw a video of somebody soldering a blade but don't think that would hold up very long. Maybe silver solder?
Any actual experience out there?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(12-22-2019, 08:33 AM)Pirate Wrote: Has anyone repaired their own broken bandsaw blade?
I saw a video of somebody soldering a blade but don't think that would hold up very long. Maybe silver solder?

I have silver-soldered hundreds of them as a "job shop" apprentice machinist...Just make your "scarf joint" as long as the width of your blade...an easy to make jig helps hold it in alignment.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-22-2019, 08:33 AM)Pirate Wrote: Has anyone repaired their own broken bandsaw blade?

Save yourself the effort, Pirate.  A 14" cast iron Delta can't adequately tension a 1/2" blade (even with an Iturra spring), much less a 3/4" one.  You'll get better performance from a 3/8" or 1/2" blade with some tension than a 3/4" one with almost none.  I get about 12 ksi on my 14" Delta with a 1/2" blade and Iturra spring, which is far below the 18+ ksi recommended.  

John
+1 Timberwolf
I do it all the time using silver solder. I get good results using either 45% or 55% silver solder. As Timberwolf says, just put the broken end against your grinder and taper the flat side and then do the same on the opposite side of the other end. Make yourself a jig to hold the two ends together with the two scarfs overlapping and making sure that the long edge of the blade is in alignment. Paint on some of the proper flux and put a small clipping of solder between the scarfs. Then heat with propane torch until the solder melts. Clean it up, re-install it, and go back to work
Thanks for the infoTimberwolf.
I know about the Delta bs and 3/4" blades. All from reading. Not actual tests.
Recently I read about someone with an old Delta 14 like ie, and he says his saw tensioned it enough, with good results.
I got the 142" blade for free and thought I might try it.
My 1/2" blade resaws nice. Not sure it's worth the effort.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Lee Valley sells a kit -

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...licing-kit

Had a Do-All bandsaw at work and it had a welder to repair blades on the side of it. Like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOrhYg5tcQ
(12-22-2019, 07:44 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Lee Valley sells a kit -

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...licing-kit

Had a Do-All bandsaw at work and it had a welder to repair blades on the side of it. Like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOrhYg5tcQ

That Do-All with the blade welder put my silver-soldering out of business
Crazy
Big Grin ......before the shop got one, we silver-soldered all blades...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have brazed a couple. I might try silfoss next time

Here is the jig I made. It is simply a length of angle iron with a notch and clamps.

As previously posted the 3/4" blade is too wide for your saw. I have hard soldered band saw blades. I bought coil stock and cut them to length, then hard soldered. I am lousy at scarf joint so I tried half laps. This works for me. I use a cup wheel in the mill and aim to remove half the thickness or a tad more. I use silver solder tape and flux.  I notched an angle iron 1" long and mad 4 screw type clamps to hold the blade in a straight line . After half lap ,then flux, apply propane flame under the joint . The solder will flow in seconds because of the thin blade. 
Let it cool, file or grind away any excess solder and flux. 
If you scarf or half lap make sure the joint is flush. The tape I think is about the thickness of print paper, .004. Take this into account. Better too thin then thick. 
mike