sealing a threshold to concrete
(12-23-2019, 03:01 PM)meackerman Wrote: There's ~20" of the concrete pad in front of the door.

Yea, that's a lot like my situation. That's why I'm gonna grind.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
(12-23-2019, 03:01 PM)mstens Wrote: Yea, that's a lot like my situation. That's why I'm gonna grind.

there's no water pooling in front of my door.  if anything the slope of the concrete should have the water running past by the door and off the pad.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(12-23-2019, 03:32 PM)meackerman Wrote: there's no water pooling in front of my door.  if anything the slope of the concrete should have the water running past by the door and off the pad.

If you have no water in front of your threshold, how is it getting in through the threshold?
mike
(12-23-2019, 03:36 PM)mstens Wrote: If you have no water in front of your threshold, how is it getting in through the threshold?

the concrete is wet (from the rain) in front of the door, but there is no standing water.

open the door and the concrete is wet, but only along the threshold.  door opens outwards, but that shouldn't matter.  The top of the threshold isn't wet, like the water is coming over the threshold.

the concrete has a heavy broom finish, I'm guessing that the sealant that I used didn't seal down into all the nooks and crannies that are in the concrete.

I should smooth out the concrete right in front of the threshold before resealing it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Fill the gaps with backer bead and caulk---caulk the bead to the threshhold and floor. The right diameter bead will compress a bit and seal better than a shim.
(12-23-2019, 12:14 AM)meackerman Wrote:  water runs under the threshold into the shed. 

(12-23-2019, 03:53 PM)meackerman Wrote: the concrete is wet (from the rain) in front of the door, but there is no standing water.

open the door and the concrete is wet, but only along the threshold.  

You seem to be describing two different scenarios.

Good Luck
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(12-23-2019, 04:39 PM)CLETUS Wrote: You seem to be describing two different scenarios.

Good Luck

based on the where the concrete is wet inside the shed, water appears to be getting under the threshold, even though there is no standing water in front of the door.  

I don't claim to understand why its that way.

Mark

(12-23-2019, 04:46 PM)meackerman Wrote: based on the where the concrete is wet inside the shed, water appears to be getting under the threshold, even though there is no standing water in front of the door.  

I don't claim to understand why its that way.

Physics dictate that water will flow downhill. Always. Good luck.
mike
(12-23-2019, 04:50 PM)mstens Wrote: Physics dictate that water will flow downhill. Always. Good luck.

went by a new neighbor who was digging a trench to carry water away from around his property and drain it into the ditch alongside the road.  When I told him he needed to install a pump to get the water up over the edge of the ditch, he looked like a deer in headlights...um water doesn't run uphill.

So he installed a sump pump basin, sump pump and connected the sump pump to the perforated pipe he was using, ran that straight out the top of the basin and then back underground and into the ditch.

When the pump is running he's got a little water show with the water spraying out of the perforations....  No idea how well all his work does at keeping the water off his property.

Mark

Pic

Attached Files Image(s)

Mark