Chuck ?
I keep wanting to start turning but I'm apprehensive because it"s new to me. I've been WW for over 30 years building furniture and a multitude of other projects, never turned anything. Somewhere I obtained a Teknatool jaw accessory (JS100N). The manual says it's "designed for expanded dovetail, reverse dovetail, etc. etc." My main reason for wanting to turn is to make spindles, finials and few other items to be used with making furniture. will I ever use this in furniture making projects? And, what chuck(s) would I need to obtain that's compatible these jaws?

If anyone can suggest a book, video, etc. to help get me started, would be appreciated.
I've used a chuck where a center drive or stebcenter wouldn't bite enough to keep from slipping while still trying to avoid splitting the spindle; e.g. cocobolo, african blackwood, et al.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(12-24-2019, 11:40 AM)SteveS Wrote: I've used a chuck where a center drive or stebcenter wouldn't bite enough to keep from slipping while still trying to avoid splitting the spindle; e.g. cocobolo, african blackwood, et al.

So I guess I should hold onto it. Eventually I'll learn how to use it?
I always turn between centers in spindle turning and have never split anything with these.  I have also done several vertical rails for stairs also and work also.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSS22.html

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSS21.html

The center point just retracts as you apply pressure and the small spurs engage to hold and drive the wood.

Of course the large on I use on spindles of 3" or bowls or well anything big I turn start between centers, and the small one for 2" and less for a small footprint.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Spindle work probably not much use. Finial work usually uses a chuck, but smaller jaws. I have also done finials with the piece mounted in a drill chuck on the lathe. Might be away to play at a smaller initial investment. If using a drill chuck in the headstock make sure you use a draw bar to hold it in place With no pressure from the tailstock it can fly out otherwise. My chuck is threaded on the back side. This is what you need. Then run a threaded rod thru the headstock into that and put on a washer and nut. It is now secure. Make sure not to let the rod stick out to where it could be a safety issue.. When you start turning you might like it and get into all other aspects.
(12-24-2019, 10:08 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I keep wanting to start turning but I'm apprehensive because it"s new to me. I've been WW for over 30 years building furniture and a multitude of other projects, never turned anything. Somewhere I obtained a Teknatool jaw accessory (JS100N). The manual says it's "designed for expanded dovetail, reverse dovetail, etc. etc." My main reason for wanting to turn is to make spindles, finials and few other items to be used with making furniture. will I ever use this in furniture making projects? And, what chuck(s) would I need to obtain that's compatible these jaws?

If anyone can suggest a book, video, etc. to help get me started, would be appreciated.

The Teknatool Nova JS100N jaws are 100mm/4" dovetail jaws. They are very useful for bowl and platter turning. I believe that they are compatible with all of the Nova chucks except the Precision Midi chuck. They should also be compatible with the Robust line of chucks. They are not considered compatible with chucks from Oneway, PSI, or Vicmarc.

You will probably never use these jaws for spindle turning unless you start doing architectural columns or the like.

On the other hand, I seem to recall some furniture styles that use large feet the look like you took a ball and squished it down. These jaws might be small enough for those feet. The jaws would seem right for furniture legs that start out as 18/4 stock. 16/4 stock might work. I do not have the jaw size range table with me to check.

RoboHippy has some good youtube videos as do others here. I am having a senior moment about who else and about Tim's last name (my apologies).

The AAW website has a webpage for searching for woodturning clubs by geography. If there is a club in your area, they will welcome visitors. Many (most?) of the AAW clubs welcome new people interested in turning and some of them will arrange a private or small-group Turning 101 lesson at no cost.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-24-2019, 07:52 PM)iclark Wrote: The Teknatool Nova JS100N jaws are 100mm/4" dovetail jaws. They are very useful for bowl and platter turning. I believe that they are compatible with all of the Nova chucks except the Precision Midi chuck. They should also be compatible with the Robust line of chucks. They are not considered compatible with chucks from Oneway, PSI, or Vicmarc.

You will probably never use these jaws for spindle turning unless you start doing architectural columns or the like.

On the other hand, I seem to recall some furniture styles that use large feet the look like you took a ball and squished it down. These jaws might be small enough for those feet. The jaws would seem right for furniture legs that start out as 18/4 stock. 16/4 stock might work. I do not have the jaw size range table with me to check.

RoboHippy has some good youtube videos as do others here. I am having a senior moment about who else and about Tim's last name (my apologies).

The AAW website has a webpage for searching for woodturning clubs by geography. If there is a club in your area, they will welcome visitors. Many (most?) of the AAW clubs welcome new people interested in turning and some of them will arrange a private or small-group Turning 101 lesson at no cost.

You talking about Tim Yoder??  He has a lot of great videos along with RoboHippy which both teach how to use various tools and Tim shows how not to get catches.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here is what the Nova chuck jaws manual says about JS100N jaws:
--------------------------------------------------------

100MM JAW SET - Code: JS100N
Designed for expanded dovetail, reverse dovetail for gripping footed bowls, with
limited spigot facility - not recommended for square spigot work. There is
provision to mount false wooden jaws, so customised jaws can be made for
special purposes.

You will need a Nova or Record Power chuck with suitable thread adapter to fit your lathe in order to use those jaws.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(12-25-2019, 10:09 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Here is what the Nova chuck jaws manual says about JS100N jaws:

100MM JAW SET - Code: JS100N
Designed for expanded dovetail, reverse dovetail for gripping footed bowls, with
limited spigot facility - not recommended for square spigot work. There is
provision to mount false wooden jaws, so customised jaws can be made for
special purposes.

You will need a Nova or Record Power chuck with suitable thread adapter to fit your lathe in order to use those jaws.
Someone on this forum sent me an adapter for the Shopsmith. So I guess I'm all set in that department. Now I have to get a decent chuck. I don't necessarily need to use the jaws I already have.
Now I have to get out of the front my computer and in front of the lathe.
Thanks everyone!
(12-24-2019, 11:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: You talking about Tim Yoder??  He has a lot of great videos along with RoboHippy which both teach how to use various tools and Tim shows how not to get catches.

Thanks Arlin.

Yes, Tim Yoder is who I had in mind. I miss his TV show. His presentation (in Atlanta, IIRC) on what _not_ to do at the lathe was one of the most useful that I have ever attended. He did commentary over a video he made of himself in some serious body and head armor making mistakes at the lathe.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.