Pepper Grinder
Another vote for walnut here.
Air dried looks different than kiln dried.
I bet your wife loves it!
Nicely done
Thanks for all your inputs, it looks like most votes are for black walnut, so that's what we'll call it.  We used it the last few days and it works great, a nice addition to the kitchen, and makes for a happy wife.  As mentioned I have one more kit to make, probably send it to my sister as surprise.
Carl

What kit did you use for the grinder? I'm a relatively new turner, but I'd like to try a grinder. Yours looks great! Thanks!
Benny

Pretty much any walnut I have worked with had a very distinct odor/smell...Having grown up around a very productive walnut tree as a kid, the smell was easily recognizable...
(12-24-2019, 08:15 PM)wrx4sabelle Wrote: Thanks for the reply.  The grinder is 8" tall as I thought that would be a good size for my wife to use in the kitchen.  I have another kit that I will make out of walnut, I think, also 8".

I  used the end for the jam chuck, and a little was cut off due to checking, but here is the raw wood - maybe someone can tell what it is.  Doesn't have a lot of aroma.

Walnut
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
(01-03-2020, 03:51 PM)mpax356 Wrote: Walnut

Possibly Butter Nut? It is in the walnut family.