I volunteered to make some wood toys
Next year. Mostly toddlers to eight-nine year olds. Outside of little cars and trucks, I need suggestions and sites to find plans to get started. Anybody here make wood toys for other than family.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(12-24-2019, 10:04 PM)stoppy Wrote: Next year. Mostly toddlers to eight-nine year olds. Outside of little cars and trucks, I need suggestions and sites to find plans to get started. Anybody here make wood toys for other than family.

I have done this and what I did  was something like this and then an old truck https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Wooden-Toy-Car/
I did a load for autistic kids whose Doctors said they may have allergies to regular plastic toys and paints.  Some of those where just 4x4 material milled down a bit and cut to a car type shape with wheels.  The kids were very happy as were the parents.  I used redwood, ash and fir scraps not sure if I would use walnut scraps as I don't know how these kids with allergies may react.  If just a normal bunch of kids I would have mixed up the woods for coloring.  I don't have any shame in using someone else's templates I never could draw all that well and more than a few were drawings my kids made I just glued them to the stock and cut them out
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

This guy who is retiring made toys https://www.cbsnews.com/news/96-year-old...s-in-need/
(12-24-2019, 11:14 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: This guy who is retiring made toys https://www.cbsnews.com/news/96-year-old...s-in-need/

I had been thinking about this for sometime, that story when I saw it on the news triggered the decision.

Bob, thanks for the link to the VW Bug car, I was looking for one.
Jim

There is a good chance
(12-24-2019, 10:04 PM)stoppy Wrote: Next year. Mostly toddlers to eight-nine year olds. Outside of little cars and trucks, I need suggestions and sites to find plans to get started. Anybody here make wood toys for other than family.
I have used plans from here:

https://toymakingplans.com/?utm_source=T...dfebd7da29

Carefull, its another slippery slope... but a fun one.
(12-25-2019, 03:29 AM)stoppy Wrote: I had been thinking about this for sometime, that story when I saw it on the news triggered the decision.

Bob, thanks for the link to the VW Bug car, I was looking for one.

I have a better one on a here

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I’ll make them both. Look like cars little kids can can have fun with.

How did you make contact with the group you provided the cars?
Jim

There is a good chance
(12-26-2019, 03:50 AM)stoppy Wrote: I’ll make them both. Look like cars little kids can can have fun with.

How did you make contact with the group you provided the cars?

Son was born into it.  He was diagnosed with Autism and stuck in a program that dealt with it.  So birthday party included classmates.  I listened to what was said about the kids and toys, did a bit of research and figured wood toys no chemicals would work.  I had a lot of happy kids and probably more happy parents.  The program was pretty amazing a good number of the kids have gown mainstream.  I would bet there are schools local to you that have similar groups of children.  Sanding is smoothing is in your future

Phil Thien

Many years back I made a bunch of toys for the children's wing of the hospital.  If I can pass along
a bit of advice.  I made the toys out of woods I had checked out for being kid safe and used salad
bowl finish to it.  They were fine and used for months by kids in the hospital, I eventually had an 
issue with one of the mothers who claimed her child got sick from one of my toys.  Eventually it
came out her kid was sick before even visiting in the hospital and she was just looking to claim
something to get some $$ from someone.  To be honest, I eventually quit making toys for gifts like
I had done in the past.
A quick and easy project is lawn dice. 

Chop 4" x 4" stock into perfect cubes.

Radius all edges on a router table.

Use a forstner bit to make 1/8" depth dots.

Then paint the dots. 

Clear coat

It is fairly easy to paint within the circles/holes made by the forstner bits.

The video below shows using a magic marker for darkening the dots.  Paint will yield a richer black and is easy enough with a small brush.  Anything that goes outside the hole will clear up when you are sanding.

There are dozens of dice games listed on line.

A set of six dice retails for  $26.00 on Amazon, so not a "cheap" gift.    It can also be played on a carpeted surface.

This video shows it better:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sx9t7JCpBw
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.