Grizzly Baby 12 inch drum sander yes? No?
Looking to add a drum sander to my tools. Will be sanding mostly small pieces. Any one here have the Baby Grizzly, or spend a little more for the larger open end?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(12-25-2019, 04:04 AM)stoppy Wrote: Looking to add a drum sander to my tools. Will be sanding mostly small pieces. Any one here have the Baby Grizzly, or spend a little more for the larger open end?

If this is your first, you may find it handy enough that you'll want to put everything thought it... so I suggest opening the wallet a bit for the capacity.  Can't imagine you'd be sorry.
(12-25-2019, 04:04 AM)stoppy Wrote: Looking to add a drum sander to my tools. Will be sanding mostly small pieces. Any one here have the Baby Grizzly, or spend a little more for the larger open end?

If it's the G0459 you're looking at, I decided not to buy one after some research.  This was 8 or 9 years ago and they were having lots of trouble with the plastic drivetrain gears self destructing.  A quick check of Amazon reviews shows complaints as recent as 2015 about this problem but no later.  Maybe Grizzly has fixed this issue - I don't know.

Also, the minimum thickness of the G0459 is 1/8".  I'm guessing it can't sand anything thinner because it uses a hook and loop fastening system to hold the paper to the drum.  I need to be able to sand veneer down to 3/32" and sanders without hook and loop (like the SuperMax) can sand all the way down to 1/32".

I bought the Performax 10-20 and it has worked out well for me.

Mike
It is my first drum sander other than a homemade one I made to use on my lathe.

The more I think about it the more I think I’ll get the larger capacity one.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(12-25-2019, 08:53 AM)stoppy Wrote: It is my first drum sander other than a homemade one I made to use on my lathe.

The more I think about it the more I think I’ll get the larger capacity one.

Jim

Three years ago this one shown up on my door step curtsie of some Woodnetter whom I do not know.

It works great and two grits can be installed.  I put 60g on the front and 120 on the rear drum and out pops a nicely sanded piece of wood.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...der/G1066R

At the time the cost was only $995 but I feel even at the current cost it is a great deal.  It is also not Hook and loop but clips on the end. 
Last make sure you have a good DC since if you do not it will leave a lot of dust on the floor and inside.  A 3hp DC is good a 5hp would be best but my

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...es/G0562ZP

works pretty good.

I did read up on what you are looking at and it is belt driven not the plastic parts anymore if that helps your decision

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0459_pl.pdf
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.