Attaching crown molding to solid wood sides
I’m building a pie safe for the kitchen to match one from about ten years ago. It’s got solid wood sides and top, with crown to hide the join. When I built the first one I came up with this complicated system to allow for expansion - the crown it attached at the front and rides on sliders dovetailed in at the back. This seems way too complicated - so how do you do it?
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
Honestly, I think most woodworkers would nail it and not worry about it.  But if you are building an heirloom piece, I think your approach is dead on.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
For simplicity, you could put a keyhole slot toward the back and slide the rear onto a screw head. Basically, achieving the same technique to allow for wood movement with less effort.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Your initial approach is the preferred method. Another option (if not overly concerned from how this might look from the inside) would be to use screws from the inside of the case into the molding. You could screw thru a slotted hole which would allow for movement across the grain. You could also screw thru slightly oversized holes, countersink and plug the holes which would hide the screw head. Hardly noticeable if you made up plugs from the case material.
Wood Movement Calculator

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculato...=shrinkage
(12-25-2019, 01:55 PM)abernat Wrote: I’m building a pie safe for the kitchen to match one from about ten years ago. It’s got solid wood sides and top, with crown to hide the join. When I built the first one I came up with this complicated system to allow for expansion - the crown it attached at the front and rides on sliders dovetailed in at the back. This seems way too complicated - so how do you do it?

I brad nail the crown to the cabinet and be done with it. Miters are glued and brad nailed. Small crown like you may see in some kitchens the crown is brad or pin nailed .
I'd do the same thing I've seen on antique furniture.. nail it.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life