first try at punky burl bowl
I turned my first burl bowl. The wood is spalted and came of in little pieces instead of shavings. It was a lesson in sanding, especially the inside because of the sharp, uneven edges. Finishing was very tough because it kept sucking up the finish. First I tried walnut oil, that will not build up enough to get any sheen from. I ended up with juice made from shellac,pure tung oil, and alcohol. Still didn't like the finish. Should have sprayed lacquer!
Got lots of tear out inside the bowl, even with a lucas scraper.

Now where is that chisel
Sure looks nice from here.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I agree. You did a great job with what you had to work with. Punky is the way it is, but still is a great piece.
Way better than I could do.

Punky => stabilize with CA as you go.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
First Bowl!?! Looks great.
My first bowl, one short month ago, went straight from the lathe and into the fireplace where it belonged.
Bruce.
That’s a wonderful job and is a challenging shape for a first bowl

"No matter what it looks like when you finish, that's exactly what you intended when you started."

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(12-26-2019, 05:32 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: "No matter what it looks like when you finish, that's exactly what you intended when you started."

GM

I use that thought process on all of my projects
The wood dictates what the bowl will look like in the end.
(12-25-2019, 03:01 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I turned my first burl bowl. The wood is spalted and came of in little pieces instead of shavings. It was a lesson in sanding, especially the inside because of the sharp, uneven edges. Finishing was very tough because it kept sucking up the finish. First I tried walnut oil, that will not build up enough to get any sheen from. I ended up with juice made from shellac,pure tung oil, and alcohol. Still didn't like the finish. Should have sprayed lacquer!
Got lots of tear out inside the bowl, even with a lucas scraper.
Well, perhaps next attempt you will ditch the scraper for a cutting tool.  Won't peck out because it's not lifting, but slicing (in the main) when used in what some call "shear scraping" presentation.  Those tools using a gutter lipped (limiting) cutter shearing, or even a termite are best.  ONLY dried wood finish cuts. Wet - hack or scrape at will. You may even be able to turn a proper burr on a curved scraper and scrape as you rotate the piece by hand or in your lap. Fine shavingwith low pressure.

I use 3# cut shellac daubed and dried if the peck doesn't respond to sharp and shearing.  CA interferes with surface finishes, and is incompatible with oils. 

If you use the power-loc type sanding discs rather than soft-backed Velcro you can support against sturdy material as you sand in direction off the edge or around large punky areas.  You can even rotate on the lathe and sand if you use them and a supported sander, like my favorite flex shaft.  

FWIW, both lacquer and shellac are used as sanding sealers.

Great outcome, lots of work.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.