under drawer dovetail guide - tips tricks?
Sort of unrelated question. Are you making the drawers all the same height?
(12-28-2019, 08:20 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Sort of unrelated question. Are you making the drawers all the same height?

Thanks guys!

Yes, the three drawers are all intended to be the same height, though I'm sure I'll need to fine tune each for their respective opening to get the "piston" fit. That top web-frame is offset from the top to house one of those slide-out "writing desk" boards (I guess that's what it's called)

Why do you ask?
(12-28-2019, 09:30 AM)mound Wrote: Thanks guys!

Yes, the three drawers are all intended to be the same height, though I'm sure I'll need to fine tune each for their respective opening to get the "piston" fit. That top web-frame is offset from the top to house one of those slide-out "writing desk" boards (I guess that's what it's called)

Why do you ask?

I was just curious. I noticed yours looked to be the same.Typically the three drawers would have different heights with the top one being fairly shallow and the bottom one deepest.

That pull out tray used to be called a typewriter tray but who uses one of them anymore?
Big Grin

Another question: should there be a rail across the front to tie the front legs together and give you some place to attach the top at the front?
(12-28-2019, 09:48 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I was just curious. I noticed yours looked to be the same.Typically the three drawers would have different heights with the top one being fairly shallow and the bottom one deepest.

That pull out tray used to be called a typewriter tray but who uses one of them anymore?
Big Grin

Another question: should there be a rail across the front to tie the front legs together and give you some place to attach the top at the front?

My 10yr old son and I are doing this together, started with a pencil drawing he made, loosely based on my dad's old desk.. He even learned some basic SketchUp and drew the whole outer shape before I took over for the component modeling.. He deemed that all three drawers should be the same height, and so they shall be! (Subject to change of course as we flesh out the design.) Dad's old desk also had the "typewriter" tray and so he wanted one too.  

I do think I'll add a rail across the front between the inner panel and right legs. Hate to reduce the height of that top-drawer. Probably just a piece of 3/4" stock dovetailed in..
(12-28-2019, 11:56 AM)mound Wrote: My 10yr old son and I are doing this together, started with a pencil drawing he made, loosely based on my dad's old desk.. He even learned some basic SketchUp and drew the whole outer shape before I took over for the component modeling.. He deemed that all three drawers should be the same height, and so they shall be! (Subject to change of course as we flesh out the design.) Dad's old desk also had the "typewriter" tray and so he wanted one too.  

I do think I'll add a rail across the front between the inner panel and right legs. Hate to reduce the height of that top-drawer. Probably just a piece of 3/4" stock dovetailed in..

Very good. And it's his design!
Wink