December Cutting Boards
I have found Paduak does the same thing as well, ending up far more brown than red. Sort of red-oak brown. Still contrast-y enough against walnut to use as an accent piece, but I had really liked the bright orange color when I first cut it. Now if I really want something that screams 'Red!', I go with lighter woods like Maple and bust out the trans-tint dyes.

Because it is apparently a bad idea to run end-grain through the planer, and I am now finally old enough to learn from the mistakes of others without being required to repeat them for myself, I usually take my cutting boards over to the local lumber supplier and have them run it through their drum sander for $5. It feels a little like cheating sometimes, but it saves me a lot of wear on both my body and my sanity.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I found that you can run most end grain thru the planer if you are patient, meaning you take very small bite, and make a lot more passes than normal.  Normally I advance at 1/4 turn rates.  For end grain cutting boards, I advance at 1/8 turns. 
Smirk. This normally prevents tearout.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Maybe next year, I can add a drum sander to the woodshop, the Ranger UTV will be paid off.  The year after that we will have the Frontier paid off.  Only thing left... House payment.  
Wink
Jim in Okie
Nice work on the boards as well as the box 
Cool

Glad you could get back to the shop  
Yes
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(12-30-2019, 09:17 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: This normally prevents tearout.

Tear out?

When I tried to plane end grain the cutting board exploded! It makes a spectacular noise and ruins your planer blades.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I haven't had that happen, what kind of wood was it? I will make sure I don't try that species. 
Winkgrin
Jim in Okie
(12-31-2019, 09:28 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I haven't had that happen, what kind of wood was it? I will make sure I don't try that species. 
Winkgrin

It was maple, walnut and cherry. Actually, 2 of the boards made it through fine, it could have been a week glue joint or something.

However, I found a local guy with a wide belt sander. If he can wait to run them through the sander when he's working on another project, he'll run them through for a case of beer.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I do a batch of cutting boards every few years, usually 3 or 4 at a time. Always used the planer but with some precautions. First I glue on side runners and sacrificial edges for the leading and trailing ends to prevent chip out. All the milled runners for the sides/back/front were a bit thicker than the cutting board, and the board was 'suspended" in the runners so that when put through the planer first few passes only the runners were being cut. Very,very light passes passes. It's way way louder, takes some time and does dull the blades. After planing I trim the runnners/ends off at the table saw. Never had an issue. 

YMMV
Lookin' good, Jim! 
Cool

Glad you're gettin' some shop time - I'd go nuts without it....
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(12-31-2019, 10:15 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Lookin' good, Jim! 
Cool

Glad you're gettin' some shop time - I'd go nuts without it....
Winkgrin

I have had a lot of surgery, the downtime afterward kills me.  Usually is lower... Leg, knee, ankle, feet.. I can wheel myself out and use handtools at the low bench.  This time, with the shoulder, absolutely not, until after the first followup.  Sucked. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie