Kukri with stand
(12-30-2019, 03:00 PM)stav Wrote: Beautiful.  What is it that is keeping the handle together?  Is it just epoxy or are there mechanical fasteners holding the different woods and the spacers, etc all together?

There are no fasteners. there is epoxy on the wood to the tang and the pins to the wood.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
That's cool 
Cool
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Beautiful work! The handle and stand really elevate the knife to another level.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've always wondered how one would sand right up to the finger slots in the tang without either messing u the metal, or sanding away too much wood so the metal protrudes. Is that where the hand sanding comes in? Do you basically polish the metal edges while sanding?

Outstanding work!
Benny

(01-02-2020, 01:24 PM)bennybmn Wrote: I've always wondered how one would sand right up to the finger slots in the tang without either messing u the metal, or sanding away too much wood so the metal protrudes. Is that where the hand sanding comes in? Do you basically polish the metal edges while sanding?

Outstanding work!

I use a few different sizes of drum sanders at low speed so material removal is slow for gross shaping, but much faster than hand sanding that is used to get the final contour and smoothness. The exposed tang gets sanded as well to contribute to the shape and gets finished with 400 or 600 and 0000 steel wool before going over it with a buffing wheel to get a mirror finish on the pins and spacers but leaving the tang alone as the hardness makes it very time consuming if you want a mirror finish on that.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Awesome thanks for the run-down!
Benny