Wago Wire Connectors
Does anyone have first hand experience using Wago push in wire connectors vs Wire nuts?  Any pro's or con's to be aware of?  And are they safe?

Regards,
Bill Bob
I've used them. I'd call them safe. They are the norm in Europe. They're the norm in most commercial light fixtures. They are used on many commercial jobs that use pre fab receptacles. My personal preference is twist splicing then a wirenut, but I would trust a wago in my own home. I've used them several times when replacing receptacles and there's only like 2 inches of wire in the box.
There lifespan was the subject of a lively debate here some years ago. I've used them, and they are somewhat more handy than wire nuts, and I believe they are safe. But of you've ever had a receptacle fail because someone slipped the wire into the clamp they use to have, you have to wonder if the same thing will happen to a Wago. Even so, I keep them on hand...they take less wire to use so if you're reworking something in a box and are limited by the wire in there they can be lifesavers.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
They or similar are becoming the industry standard.  According to some posters on the Mike Holt forum they are often specified in plans.

I use the regular for solid and the lever nuts if any wires are stranded.
I've used the ideal brand ones...so far so good.

Yea, there is still the crappy outlet backstab connection thing in my mind.

Ed
I think they’re more robust than the back stab type receptacles.

Not as good as twisted/wire-nutted connections, but I haven’t had any failures or oddities in the ten years or so I’ve used them.

I especially like the Lever Nuts for working with very old wire with the rubber insulation that is falling apart. Often you want to disturb that stuff as little as possible, and the Lever Nuts are great for that.

The Lever Nuts are also great for finely stranded wire, like lamp cord. The regular Wago nuts can be used for stranded but not finely stranded.

Honestly I mostly use Lever Nuts these days, I really like those things. The newer version is quite slim compared to the old.
I haven't used the push in version.  I use the lever version.  I prefer them to wire nuts
I had an Ideal one in our barn that blew out...like burned itself up.  Dunno what caused it, wife started complaining that the center aisle lights weren't working.  Traced it back to the connector... blacked wire, toasted connector.  Replaced it with a wire nut.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I haven't used them, maybe I'm over thinking this. The lever ones look like they take up a lot of space in the box, am I wrong? I know there's a bit of stress on nconnections when the box is full of wire, especially behind switches. Do the push in Wagos hold up as well as wire nuts to stress on the connection?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-29-2019, 07:55 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I haven't used them, maybe I'm over thinking this.  The lever ones look like they take up a lot of space in the box, am I wrong? I know there's a bit of stress on nconnections when the box is full of wire, especially behind switches. Do the push in Wagos hold up as well as wire nuts to stress on the connection?

I have not used the lever type but had no problems with the push in type.   After stripping to the correct length push in and then attempt to pull out. Always try to pull out each wire you inserted.   They take up less room in the back of the box than wire nuts.  As always use these with the range of wire sizes they were designed for.  Roly