What kind of wood is this?

Hi
Im new to the forum.  I come across some scrap wood that I'm making some dry flower bases out of.  I have no idea what kind of wood it is.  It is a hard wood and dense.  Anyone have an idea.
Thanks

Hopefully my attachment comes through

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: What kind of wood is this? by markwn59 (Hi Im new to the fo...)
Peckerwood?

Sorry couldn’t resist, no idea on the species but it looks like a woodpecker had its way with the tree and then just rotted in place.
Bruce.
Got to be Whatzit wood
Steve

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When I use the toilet it smells just like fresh brewed coffee!
fredp 02/13/2020

Olive maybe? 

<----- I'm laughing at the "pecker wood" comment. That was a good one. Olive wood is a good guess. I don't know what it is, but it sure looks like a very cool wood. I think you should ship it to me, for a complete examination.  Wink
  Re: RE: What kind of wood is this? by MidwestMan (
(12-29-2019, 12:45 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: <----- I'm laughing at the "pecker wood" comment. That was a good one. Olive wood is a good guess. I don't know what it is, but it sure looks like a very cool wood. I think you should ship it to me, for a complete examination.  Wink

DO NOT, under any circumstances, ship it to MidwestMan. I needed an ID on a lathe part so I shipped him my ONEWAY 2436. That was ten years ago. I've never heard from him since...

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Is it possible to be Desert Ironwood ? Where did it come from
I got from my neigbor in wyoming when he moved.  He was from southern california though--  Woodworker....  He retired in southern nevada.   I considered olivewood, until you mentioned desert ironwood.   I am thinking maybe that might it after looking it up on internet???
Does it float?

Knowing the density would certainly help narrow it down.

If you are worried about water getting in any worm/bug holes, you could put it in a water-tight plastic bag before you measure the density.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Yes it floats. I put a scrap piece in sink full of water, 1/2 in and 1/2 out.. I showed it to a guy at Grizzly Industrial tool store the other day. He was thinking maybe Cypress roots from Louisiana?? Not certain though