basic " " of woodworking?
Woodworking is just sewing with bigger tools. Cut pieces, then fasten the pieces back together.

This is what I tell people who are too incredulous that I am a woodworker.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Never heard of the saying you quoted which at best was an over-simplication of the craft as it gave no recognition of anything that happened before one stepped into the shop. But for fun, I'd say the second one was "Non-chiseling."

Simon
(12-30-2019, 11:09 PM)WJB Wrote: Per Roy Underhill, all operations fall under wedge or edge.
Here is a link. It's probably Roy's best book, though it is a bit weaker in some of the fascinating asides.
(12-30-2019, 11:09 PM)WJB Wrote: Per Roy Underhill, all operations fall under wedge or edge.
An edge is a wedge...
VH07V  
I remember that when Chris was a guest on Roy's show, he (Chris) said that everything in woodworking was either a platform or a box (or both). I forget what the exact show topic was about though.
Smile 
(12-30-2019, 12:56 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Is it cleaning up all the stuff you chiseled off?
Big Grin