Stickley inspired bookcase
That's a looker! You should be proud, and thanks for showing us.
Very nice, the back ground pieces look just as good. I love working with QSWO, but it does bother my lungs more than most woods I have used.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Looks great!

Care to elaborate on the over the top shop cabinet?

Ed
Beautifully done Greg.  Great choice of style and wood that goes so well in your "sitting" room.  Did your grandson help with the project?  I too love to show the younger ones the benefits of woodworking.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Very nice, you seem to have the finishing schedule down pat for that style. The other pieces are very nice as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-30-2019, 04:16 PM)mound Wrote: Sweet!

What's the finishing schedule?

Thanks everyone 
Smile

The finishing schedule has several steps but really pops the rays on the QSWO.
Because of the through tenons and shiplapped back, some pieces had to be finished before final assembly so everything still looked right with seasonal wood movement.

Finished as follows.
Fully sand and prep surfaces.
Wet it to raise the grain and sand lightly.
Stain base color with aniline dye to set underlying color.
Seal with Sealacell.
Wipe on gel stain  and wipe off.........the sealer prevents the rays from taking stain.
Shellac and wax for finish coats.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(12-30-2019, 07:00 PM)cputnam Wrote: Well Done!  I can appreciate nice work even though Stickley does not do it for me.

Thank you so much for recognizing the work and  taking the time to comment even though this is not your preferred style 
Cool
Greg

Danchris Nursery
Beautiful piece. Love the simplicity, craftsmanship, finish - all of it. And the precision of the thru tenons is great. Nice job. How thick did you make the ship lapped back pieces?

But there is one thing wrong in your pics - the White Sox??  Where's the Cubs poster?  
Big Grin
The sooner you get behind schedule, the more time you have to make it up.
(12-30-2019, 11:33 PM)EdL Wrote: Looks great!

Care to elaborate on the over the top shop cabinet?

Ed

Thank you 
Smile
I found that old cabinet at an auction probably 25-30 years ago.
Sitting off to the side with the base cabinet in pieces.

No one wanted it and I probably paid 5 or 10 bucks for it.
I always thought I would someday make a new base for it but I never got around to it.
Now it has become part of the flavor of my workshop.
Greg

Danchris Nursery
(12-31-2019, 07:38 AM)Joel H. Wrote:  Did your grandson help with the project?  I too love to show the younger ones the benefits of woodworking.

Joel

Thank you so much.
Yes, he did help often during the project 
Yes

Greg

Danchris Nursery