dryer vent
Code says 1 hanger per interval. Rentals should be to code. I didn't look it up but I remember it. Not sure what an interval is... maybe a single length of duct?
Really everything should be to code.

Home inspectors have Dust Collector arguments too. But it's about flexible plastic dryer exhaust hoses vs. flexible metal ones. And Flapper discharge vents vs. Screened vents. Also the Lambro vents. Most will call out the lambro vents as 3 90 degree bends (15 ft loss).
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-14-2020, 10:26 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Code says 1 hanger per interval. Rentals should be to code. I didn't look it up but I remember it. Not sure what an interval is... maybe a single length of duct?
Really everything should be to code.

Home inspectors have Dust Collector arguments too. But it's about flexible plastic dryer exhaust hoses vs. flexible metal ones. And Flapper discharge vents vs. Screened vents. Also the Lambro vents. Most will call out the lambro vents as 3 90 degree bends (15 ft loss).
I found this (local regulations might be tighter):  https://www.nachi.org/dryer-vent-safety.htm

M1502.4.2 Duct installation.
Exhaust ducts shall be supported at intervals not to exceed 12 feet and shall be secured in place. The insert end of the duct shall extend into the adjoining duct or fitting in the direction of airflow. Exhaust duct joints shall be sealed in accordance with Section M1601.4.1 and shall be mechanically fastened. Ducts shall not be joined with screws or similar fasteners that protrude more than 1/8-inch into the inside of the duct.

My installation has the dryer directly under a window through which the vent is run.  The total length of the run is about 5 feet and includes two (2) 90 degree bends. 

It is attached rigidly at the rear of the dryer and to the vent pass through.  There is only about 5 feet of straight tube.  Reading the above regulation does not tell me clearly if a bracket is required for such a short length of vent.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Here's the thing. I'm a member if NACHI. It's a home inspectors association, not a code inspection organization. Great resource. Nobody really cares on a short run as long as the exhaust duct isn't crushed, the vent isn't clogged or has a screen of any kind over it. As long as it's working, not too long, too many elbows and not causing any harm, its fine.

When I check them, I look for those things and suspect most guys do the same. Usually they're hung with coat hangers or nothing at all.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I had one of the vents linked earlier, Liked it but it clogged way to easily.  I installed one of these https://dryerwallvent.com/wall-vent-intro.html Easy to open to clean out and it keeps working. I have a long vent run from the middle of my house run is about 19', I try to clean it at least 2X a year. The company also has low restriction dryer vent elbows that work very well. Dan
(01-23-2020, 03:19 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: I had one of the vents linked earlier, Liked it but it clogged way to easily.  I installed one of these https://dryerwallvent.com/wall-vent-intro.html Easy to open to clean out and it keeps working. I have a long vent run from the middle of my house run is about 19', I try to clean it at least 2X a year. The company also has low restriction dryer vent elbows that work very well. Dan

The elbows look good for some applications.  Mine runs straight up and out.  A large diameter elbows would move the dryer about a foot away from the wall (maybe more).  But I see how it would allow better flow.
I am jumping in kinda late to this thread, but in case anyone is interested,
there is a good fix for the link from the back of the dryer to the wall. Which
is often where there has to be an excessive amount of flexible tube to allow
moving the dryer in (and out when necessary).

So glad I installed ours. Works very well!!

Link:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hom...connectors
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-24-2020, 11:38 AM)If MarkSingleton Wrote: I am jumping in kinda late to this thread, but in case anyone is interested,
there is a good fix for the link from the back of the dryer to the wall. Which
is often where there has to be an excessive amount of flexible tube to allow
moving the dryer in (and out when necessary).

So glad I installed ours. Works very well!!

Link:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hom...connectors

Just installed our MagVent last week. We had an issue with the washer and the laundry room in our new downsized house is so narrow we had to remove the dryer first.  Used the mag vent to reconnect. 
 One story ranch. The dryer vent line  runs behind the wall between the studs, through the attic, then out the roof.  It terminates at the dryer with a “dryer box” , then the mag vent near the floor.  

That is where I don’t understand the engineering of contractors when venting.  
The mag vent helps with air flow as it is only one 90°  as opposed to having a flex hose snaking around behind the dryer, having multiple bends, and maybe kinking.  But it is still a hard 90°

Why not make that Dryer Box 44” long.
Then you could use a sweep instead of a hard 90° and rigid duct instead of a flex hose, all attached to the dryer.  Slide it back as one unit into the extended dryer box  and make the connection above the dryer with 3” of metallic flex as a transition. Apply the matching cover.  
Makes the dryer more efficient, saves energy, less lint build-up and easier to clean when you do clean it.  That is what I did in my previous home.  

That was my plan:  to open the stud bay, cut the bottom off the Dryer Box, and move it up.  But my stud finder and fish tape showed wires and a lot of strapping in the bay, so I did the Mag Vent instead.

Just seems like a no brainer in new construction, though.
as the OP, I ended up buying this flapper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NY...UTF8&psc=1 It just arrived today so I plan to install it tomorrow while it is warm.
I do plan on getting a Magvent connector for the laundry room when I finish the space later this year. I'm in the process of putting a bathroom in my basement but I need to move the dryer first.
(01-24-2020, 03:18 PM)carwashguy Wrote: as the OP,  I ended up buying this flapper  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NY...UTF8&psc=1 It just arrived today so I plan to install it tomorrow while it is warm.  
I do plan on getting a Magvent connector for the laundry room when I finish the space later this year.  I'm in the process of putting a bathroom in my basement but I need to move the dryer first.

Amazingly Amazon is still showing vents with filters.  From all I have read using filters on a dryer vent is not to code, and represents a fire hazard (unless I have understood the code incorrectly).
(01-28-2020, 08:21 AM)Cooler Wrote: Amazingly Amazon is still showing vents with filters.  From all I have read using filters on a dryer vent is not to code, and represents a fire hazard (unless I have understood the code incorrectly).

You understand it correctly. As a Home Inspector, I'm compelled put them in my report as a fire hazard. These too. 

The filtered ones are allowed for indoor use for non vented dryers. . Can't quote code verifying this but it's in my study material.

... Kizar Sosay