Walnut Clothespins
A little side project over the holidays.  We frequently use clothespins as chip clips.  I got tired of the cheap Chinese clothespins coming apart or breaking so I made a few old school clothespins out of walnut.  Stainless steel springs were purchased online.  Finish is boiled linseed and wax.

[Image: ShEWCrx.jpg]

[Image: NCMtEHh.jpg]

[Image: Hzadf2v.jpg]

[Image: GYv1LJZ.jpg]

[Image: IUWKY0M.jpg]

Comparison to store bought Chinese version:
[Image: 89PbGpr.jpg]
Pretty nifty and fancy, I'd say - nice job!

Doug
Photo 
Great project. Sure to be better than what your can buy. For those of us less industrious, these stationary clips are about as failproof (though not as fancy) and handy as you can find. Sorry, but not meaning to be snarky at all. Just the only thing that works in my house. All the others are bummers.

Now how cool is that??
Cool
Cool
Cool
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-05-2020, 10:03 PM)Sullivan Wrote: A little side project over the holidays.  We frequently use clothespins as chip clips.  I got tired of the cheap Chinese clothespins coming apart or breaking so I made a few old school clothespins out of walnut.  Stainless steel springs were purchased online.  Finish is boiled linseed and wax.

[Image: ShEWCrx.jpg]

[Image: NCMtEHh.jpg]

[Image: Hzadf2v.jpg]

[Image: GYv1LJZ.jpg]

[Image: IUWKY0M.jpg]

Comparison to store bought Chinese version:
[Image: 89PbGpr.jpg]

Sully?

You got instructions/a web site you used to make the wooden parts?
Dumber than I appear
Petty cool you are right those Chinese pins are worse than junk
You can buy USA ones although not cheep from amazon
but then what fun is that ?
Just a few?
Laugh
Laugh 

Nice, useful project. A+
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-06-2020, 08:47 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Sully?

You got instructions/a web site you used to make the wooden parts?

Here's the site where I purchased the springs: Clothespin Springs  

They also sell downloadable pdf specifications for $8.95 but since I'm cheap I just figured it out using a jpeg picture imported into Sketchup.

The "Basic Overview of How Clothespins Are Made" on the site is helpful.

Here is what I came up with for dimensions:

[Image: 3lFfuMu.jpg]

[Image: iYTPGNh.jpg]

[Image: d6I0w3O.jpg]

[Image: hDI2cAj.jpg]

I determined the location of the bottom "spring arm" notch by trial and error on an extra clothespin blank - I think it ended up being about 1 inch from the nose of the clothespin.

I used my bandsaw to saw apart the blanks so I lost less material.
Great............
You are a dedicated woodworker, I never would have even thought to make my own. Now I "might" be tempted.