Making toy wheels versus buying?
Thinking of this more..... Let me know the sizes and I will buy some dowel rods at Menards of that size and cut them to size and turn treads on the wheels and drill the axel and send them to you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-07-2020, 09:42 AM)stoppy Wrote: Which do you do?  Make or buy.  

I'm making a bunch of simple car, truck, tractor toys that all require wheels.  I'm currently in a debate with myself over buying versus making.  It was suggested to me to use the lathe vs the hole saw and sanding individual wheels. Watched a video where a guy made four at a time on his lathe.  I'm going to need several hundred wheels. To make the toys a little more interesting I should use some different sizes which leads me down the make my own path.  I also have plenty of scrap wood to make them.  I'm retired so I have the time.  I'm also cheap and not rich.  Sounds like I'm trying to convince myself to make them.
Winkgrin

PM sent

Mike
I’m the one who suggested making them on the lathe—in the OT deleted thread.
There was no mention of quantity.
Hundreds is a commitment.
Not insurmountable but a real commitment.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I decided that I could either make toys or wheels, and opted for toys.
http://www.craftparts.com/
Don't know how to add a photo of my trains to this reply. Sorry.
(01-08-2020, 09:03 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: http://www.craftparts.com/

I like their treaded wheels the most. Looks like 500 of the 2" size would be 25 cents a piece, whereas the 3" size are getting close to a dollar. Seems like it might be worth a second look into making your own at that price, but the 2" is a no-brainer just buy 'em.
(01-08-2020, 07:54 AM)oakey Wrote: Stoppy
first of all congratulation on your new found health and the opportunity to get back doing things you love
i have made a few wheels very doable  but hundreds of them will be very time consuming
have you looked on buying large quantity's?
one place i buy from that seems very reasonable  is CASEY'S WOOD PRODUCTS small wheels are available in quantity's for a few cents  each
[ i am just a happy customer not associated in any way ]
spend your time building the rest of the toy
 good luck  and  good heath
Thanks, it’s hard to describe how happy I am to be back in the shop without sounding sappy. Suffice to say even my wife is thrilled about my being back in the shop.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(01-08-2020, 09:03 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: I decided that I could either make toys or wheels, and opted for toys.
http://www.craftparts.com/
Don't know how to add a photo of my trains to this reply. Sorry.

Bill,
So have I. 

Talked to craftparts yesterday and have a starter package on the way.  Will make the off and special sizes.
Jim

There is a good chance
To everyone thanks for all the encouragement. I’ve got to believe every community has this need. In talking to the CAN Council I learned there is another local woodworker making toys for them. Some of these toys are extremely simple and can be made from scraps. I’m still getting reacquainted with my tools so things don’t get done near as fast as I’d like but I brought 7 car bodies in last night for painting and all the wood for them came out of the burn barrel.
Jim

There is a good chance
(01-09-2020, 07:57 AM)stoppy Wrote: Suffice to say even my wife is thrilled about my being back in the shop.

Is it that you're in the shop, or just that you're out of the house? 
Winkgrin
Best of luck to you Jim!  This project sounds a win/win for both you and the kids.  
Yes
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?