Something I got from SS and Need to know
how to care and use it.

It is a Ohishi Waterstone (3,000-10,000 grit)
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
https://youtu.be/UfRxMsTOOeE

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(01-09-2020, 02:54 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: https://youtu.be/UfRxMsTOOeE

Mike

Is Norton the same as Japanese stones???
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

All waterstones aren't created equal. Some are natural stone. Some are ceramic. Both Norton and Ohishi are ceramic waterstones. Ohishi stones are very hard and supposedly do not need pre-soaking prior to use - just a spritz of water. Norton stones are a medium hardness and the lower grits definitely benefit from pre-soaking. The abrasives in Norton stones are silicon carbide and aluminum oxide, which are both considered to be ceramic. The main difference in most waterstones is the binder of the abrasives. Softer binders mean the stone breaks down quicker and forms a slurry quicker. Harder binders require more effort to create a slurry, but they stay flatter longer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks a lot Allan.  I will pack a small bottle of soapy water and cotton cloth in with my bag.

(01-11-2020, 12:36 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks a lot Allan.  I will pack a small bottle of soapy water and cotton cloth in with my bag.

Arlin, I bought mine when Lie Nielsen first started carrying them a few years ago when I went to their annual open house celebration.  I treat mine just like my Shapton stones....I use a sprit of water when using it (keeping it wet while in use), then I scrub it with a green scrubber, rinse it with a spray bottle then dry it off....never put it away wet.  All my cutting edges, once sharpened, get a stroke or two on the 10,000 grit after every use.  If the edge gets dull then I use the 3,000 side to bring it sharp and then a few strokes on the 10,000 side to make it ready for use.  I've ran the gamut with sharpening and believe I've gotten it down to the ideal method for myself. Discovering this Oishi just added a great way to KEEP my edges working with very little time & effort.  Hope you enjoy yours as I have mine.
I found this post from Sawmill Creek from Stu Tierney (Schtoo was his WoodNet User Name).  I trust Stu's opinions on waterstones.  He lived in Japan and sold Japanese tools and was, IMO an expert in waterstones.  He's basically saying Ohishi is a name given to a stone made by some larger manufacturer, and the name is probably only used for marketing in the US.  He's also saying that the stones are no better or worse than any other stone, and that soaking them before use is a benefit.  (I agree about the soaking.  The advertising that says no soaking is required is mostly a marketing ploy to make you think you can save time.  Long-term soaking is only harmful to a handful of stones with a very soft binder.)

Lets nip this in the bud nice and quick.

#1, I've never heard of them. I think I looked up who did actually make them, and found them, and it took me about an hour. Not Imanishi.

#2, I've never used them, so cannot comment on whether they'll be any good or not. I probably will not ever use one either, unless someone gives them to me (don't Dave) and I have absolutely ZERO interest in gaining first hand experience with them. And unless the folks who make them track me down and make me an offer I can't refuse, I'll not be having anything to do with them.

#3, Is soaking bad? Really? Bad enough to be avoided like the plague? I don't think so, and I think most folks who are convinced that 'no-soak' stones are essential and far better because of that have been reading too much and adopting the thoughts of others. There are very few stones that genuinely do not benefit from a soaking in some way, and all of them have that feature as a practical side effect/benefit, not a design point. If these stones do get some benefit from soaking, then they're not 'no-soak' at all...

#4, Because of #1, and because they're not available here in Japan, I must treat them as 'Ghosts' which are those things that do a big song and dance overseas, but are practically unknown in their country of origin. That does not, by definition, mean they're bad but I do have to wonder why a particular item might not be readily available where it's actually made...

(And by readily available I mean a Google search gets you a place to buy them in the first few hits and/or walking into a store and there's one there either in stock or not too far away. In other words, I wouldn't have to expend more than a token effort to get a hold of one, nor would anyone else actually living in Japan.)

So don't ask me about them. I don't know.

Stu.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Stu was a Great Guy and I miss his postings and truthfulness/knowledge a lot.

So what I will do is pre soak them and bring it to class where I can spray them again.

Do not presoak for longer than 10 minutes. The binder on the Ohishi stones is relatively soft, and they won't like long soak times.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-17-2020, 07:29 AM)AHill Wrote: Do not presoak for longer than 10 minutes.  The binder on the Ohishi stones is relatively soft, and they won't like long soak times.

Wow thanks for the info I do not want to damage it.
Big eek