Upside down jigsaw table?
Anyone here build one?  It struck me as a good complement to a bandsaw for cutting enclosed parts like windows in my current toy project.  Was wondering if anyone had built one and was it worth the effort?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
I built one and was disappointed. My jigsaw sucked, and even well mounted and securely clamped, I got a lot of vibration. Also a lot more blade deflection than I had anticipated. Made it hard to control the work and cut accurately. It worked ok for notching and cutting out captive openings, but curves and scroll work were much more challenging.

I know table mounting a jigsaw is a popular thing in Europe, So I am perfectly willing to accept that my issues were as a result of poor execution with sub-par equipment, but such is my personal experience.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I've never built or used one, but see them quite often in YouTube videos where the user builds multiple machines.

I have twenty years' worth of various woodworking magazines and have seen plans in them several times.

I don't see a use in my own shop with my current build desires, but would build one if I found I needed it.
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-10-2020, 07:48 AM)stoppy Wrote: Anyone here build one?  It struck me as a good complement to a bandsaw for cutting enclosed parts like windows in my current toy project.  Was wondering if anyone had built one and was it worth the effort?

This is the kind of thing a scroll saw excels at.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-10-2020, 07:48 AM)stoppy Wrote: Anyone here build one?  It struck me as a good complement to a bandsaw for cutting enclosed parts like windows in my current toy project.  Was wondering if anyone had built one and was it worth the effort?

Experimented by clamping a saw upside down at bench. Best results come with light feed and the orbital function turned off. Ultimately I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and went back to using a scrollsaw or most of the time either a fret saw or coping saw and sawing jack. 

Perhaps a jigsaw with more delicate speed adjustments than the el-cheapo B&D I have (works OK for breaking down stock) would have worked better.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-10-2020, 12:45 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: This is the kind of thing a scroll saw excels at.

This is what you want.
Wood is good. 
Bosch actually made one for their 1587 top handle jigsaw (from at least 20 years ago). Came with my saw, not sure if I ever even used it...
I have a Bosch 1590. I'll have to google it,
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
The Ryobi BT3000 table saw came with an accessory kit that allowed you to do this.  I was never able to try it when I had that saw because I didn't have a jig saw at the time. Now I have a jig saw and no Ryobi table saw.  
Crazy
I HATE jig saws.  I have tried all sorts of blades and they all suck.  (excuse my language).  I bought a scroll saw to do that work.  Yes SS are more expensive but have so many more uses.  I really love the surface they leave.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.