Who here operates from a 24 x 32 shop? Whats your layout like?
I have a 24x32 and I'm cramped. My biggest problem though, wood storage. I bet my wood storage and scrap overflow takes up 15-20% of my space; it's out of control. If I could get that under control, or better yet, move it somewhere else, I would be golden!
(01-11-2020, 07:59 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: I built a 24 x 32 building in 2013.  I thought it was plenty big but here I am cramped up with every project now.  The front of the building has two garage doors and one man door.   The back wall has my workbench, two routers, 1 rolling tool box and my miter station.  The left  wall has my 60 gal compressor, 8ft lumber storage shelves, an explosion proof cabinet and my wood stove.  The right wall has clamps, drill press, belt sander, band saw and more lumber storage. Then I have a 22/44 drum sander, 8 inch jointer, 15 inch planer, 52 inch cabinet saw and a 24 x 48 CNC plus an assembly table that's 8' x 8'.  I keep moving things around thinking its improving efficiency but its like its short lived.  Anyone here have a similar set up that could suggest a way to improve work space?  FYI- There's a full dust collection system too but its all ceiling mounted and exhausts outside so its not really an issue.  Additionally, Im looking to install some type of spray booth soon

Hi Wayne

I have effectively something smaller than your area, a double garage ... but space is made for one car to park at night. I would love more room, but get by reasonably well. There are two main reasons.

The first is that I have more compact and also fewer machines than you. In particular, I use a combination jointer/thicknesser-planer, which saves significant space. I do not have unnecessary machines (unnecessary machines for me, that is). If it does not get used all the time, then I will find a work-around for the occasional. need. 

Secondly, it is important to carefully consider your work flow. I may change out a machine, but my work flow has remained the same for some time, and this means that I am settled as to where a machine needs to go. Certain machines need to be grouped together for efficiency. For me, the combination machine, bandsaw and dust extractor need to be close together. I have slipped my drill press in as well, since there is some space. Nevertheless, my work space centres on a bench where I use hand tools for the most part. Attention is given to accessing and space to move with hand tools. I do not mind less space for the power tools, which are for roughing out. Work out what is important for you.

[Image: Overhead1.jpg]

[Image: 11a.jpg]

Not much space, but enough ...

[Image: DP12a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
My shop(s) have followed the Kitchen Triangle Rule.  But I have multiple triangles based on workflow (and also linear workflow thru the shop from lumber in to finishing area.

My main area is for sizing wood and joinery.   It consists of table saw, jointer/planer combo under side extension, workbench on one side, and assembly table across from it.  The assembly table is also a work table for things like sanding with ROS, routing, in process parts, etc.  The most-used hand tools and some hardware are under the assembly table in drawers or in a mechanic's chest at the end of the Danish workbench. There is then an area with clamps, cauls and gluing tables.  Where it can sit undisturbed.  It's the exception in that it's between lumber and  table saw.  The third area is for auxiliary machinery -- band saw, drill press, belt and disk sanders, router table. and is next to the core triangle.

The miter saw station, that I don't use all that often, I have to walk around the glue-up area.   I could probably swap positions with the clamp cart, but right now it's next to the dust collector that sits in the corner and I like it that close.