Who here operates from a 24 x 32 shop? Whats your layout like?
I built a 24 x 32 building in 2013.  I thought it was plenty big but here I am cramped up with every project now.  The front of the building has two garage doors and one man door.   The back wall has my workbench, two routers, 1 rolling tool box and my miter station.  The left  wall has my 60 gal compressor, 8ft lumber storage shelves, an explosion proof cabinet and my wood stove.  The right wall has clamps, drill press, belt sander, band saw and more lumber storage. Then I have a 22/44 drum sander, 8 inch jointer, 15 inch planer, 52 inch cabinet saw and a 24 x 48 CNC plus an assembly table that's 8' x 8'.  I keep moving things around thinking its improving efficiency but its like its short lived.  Anyone here have a similar set up that could suggest a way to improve work space?  FYI- There's a full dust collection system too but its all ceiling mounted and exhausts outside so its not really an issue.  Additionally, Im looking to install some type of spray booth soon
I wish I could help you, I have even more space (28x56)and am always crowded and looking for more efficiency. My only defense is I have all the garden equipment in the same area. My thinking has been to put everything on wheels push all the tools together and pull out what is needed for a project. But I haven’t found a way to make that workable yet. It is better for me in summer and early fall because I keep the tractors outside.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
My last shop was 24 x 32, and I was, well, comfortable. But I didn't have a CNC, and my assembly table was 4x4. Most of the other stuff was the same. But knowing what your current layout is might help with more suggestions. My table saw/jointer/ and an RAS were centered (sort of) in the middle of the room with a DC "tree" that dropped down to serve them. I started there, that was (to me) the most important part of the layout. Then the other tools were positioned around that. About te only thing I guess I can offer regards the finishing booth. I don't see how you can get a permanent one, and consider temporary enclosures. I suspended a frame from the 8' ceiling I had that was roughly 12x12', this was in front of the one 12' OH door I had. From that frame (PVC) I suspended 8' long shower curtains (Amazon) and would spray in there with a Tyvec suit and respirator. I only sprayed waterborne finishes and shellac, but this should work for oil based finishes as well. The downside is there was no venting of any kind, the upside was I didn't scarf up needed floor space.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Mine is a bit smaller at 24x24. I've set mine up similar to a plan laid out in a recent Wood magazine article, based on a 24x24 setup.

I'm not too crowded (yet), but it's gonna get smaller once my edge sander is done and I build a stand for my scroll saw.

I might move things around in the future.

Circles on the boxes denote casters on the machine.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I have that same size but before it was build my wife bought me a 7'x12'x7'high box from a truck and my BIL put in shelves in it to hold lumber and turning chunks I get from trees before they split it for firewood.

It cost $700 and it sits next  to the now (21 month old) shop.  I also have a 55 gallon trash can for all the scraps which I use quite a bit from in gluing up many other things it is also on wheels to.

If you wish I can go over in the next few days and draw up a good picture to show you.  I also and have a PM3520b lathe which takes up room to.

I have a work bench that is on wheels which I also use as an outfeed table and do move them when I need 8' wood or sheet to cut.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-11-2020, 07:59 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: I built a 24 x 32 building in 2013.  I thought it was plenty big but here I am cramped up with every project now.  The front of the building has two garage doors and one man door.   The back wall has my workbench, two routers, 1 rolling tool box and my miter station.  The left  wall has my 60 gal compressor, 8ft lumber storage shelves, an explosion proof cabinet and my wood stove.  The right wall has clamps, drill press, belt sander, band saw and more lumber storage. Then I have a 22/44 drum sander, 8 inch jointer, 15 inch planer, 52 inch cabinet saw and a 24 x 48 CNC plus an assembly table that's 8' x 8'.  I keep moving things around thinking its improving efficiency but its like its short lived.  Anyone here have a similar set up that could suggest a way to improve work space?  FYI- There's a full dust collection system too but its all ceiling mounted and exhausts outside so its not really an issue.  Additionally, Im looking to install some type of spray booth soon

Ive got 24 x 24.

10 x 7 dedicated spray room
PM66 w/84" rails
15" stationary planer
6" jointer
jet stationary edge sander
20 gal upright compressor
12" miter saw
17" BS
14" BS
3hp cyclone
floor drill press
16/32 drum sander
1-1/2 hp shaper
2 festool vacs
jet benchtop spindle sander
12" benchtop disc sander
RBI Scrollsaw
Rockler routertable
Benchtop CNC router (16x24 envelope)
36" upright tool chest of drawers
84" long tool chest of drawers, which has an 8' granite counter top on that I use for gluing up
22 x 72" workbench that is a TS outfeed and where I would do hand work 
17 x 60" workbench that is basically just a place to set parts in process
22 x 72 workbench 
(2) 48 x 17" deep 6' tall gorilla racks
36 x 60" workbench which is a dedicated for sanding
down to 8' x 24" of upright wood storage

Over the past 18 months ive really been hitting 5s on my shop. Really took to the storage step to heart. I have 2 storage units, one for finished product and shipping and one for lumber. Basically the only lumber in my shop is what is used in a two week stretch. With a finite amount of space, organization and clutter free increases productivity. I got rid of a few tools because I never used them or they were redundant.  Any flat surface is used for multiple processes. Examples are the 22x72 workbench has a 4" thick top, with a vertias end vase mounted on front as a face vise so I use it to do hand work as well as dovetail routing, and it serves as an outfeed for TS and Planner. So its positioned strategically to serve a ton of purposes. 

Layout is simple. Shop is an L shape because of the finishing room. Basically 2 main "Islands". The main one is the TS, shaper, DP, jointer, planer and workbech. The other is a gorilla rack both bandsaws, 17 x 60 workbench, router table and scroll saw. Everything else is against the wall. Everything is used in place. Nothing needs to be moved. 

As far as the dust collection, I just got a 3hp oneida gorilla, and will have a short, straight run that will have a drop with a rockler hose (the one that retracts...forget the name) and the end of the run directly piped to the planer since its the biggest demand for DC. Everything else you just drag the flex hose to the machine being used. For the past couple years ive just connected the hose to each machine and it works well. Not sure why people with smaller shops dont do that. It hurts my head seeing people with shops smaller than 500 sqft running a bunch of pipe. I know I did that a decade ago, with an underpowered collector, and not only was it a waste of time and money, it took up a bunch of valuable space.

Ive toyed with getting rid of the router table and getting or making a small benchtop one that can be stored away. Now that I have a shaper, that gets 90% of the use. Id like to get another actually. I think when that time comes ill put that plan in order.

My shop is odd from a hobbyist, as its essentially a production based shop so some things are very specific to how I work (like the 8' granite slab bench and not having an assembly table like If I was doing furniture, but I could use the outfeed workbench if I had to)

If I get a chance in the coming weeks ill take some photos and do a post. Its been years since I did, and my shop has evolved a ton since I last did.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-11-2020, 07:59 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: I built a 24 x 32 building in 2013.  I thought it was plenty big but here I am cramped up with every project now.  The front of the building has two garage doors and one man door.   The back wall has my workbench, two routers, 1 rolling tool box and my miter station.  The left  wall has my 60 gal compressor, 8ft lumber storage shelves, an explosion proof cabinet and my wood stove.  The right wall has clamps, drill press, belt sander, band saw and more lumber storage. Then I have a 22/44 drum sander, 8 inch jointer, 15 inch planer, 52 inch cabinet saw and a 24 x 48 CNC plus an assembly table that's 8' x 8'.  I keep moving things around thinking its improving efficiency but its like its short lived.  Anyone here have a similar set up that could suggest a way to improve work space?  FYI- There's a full dust collection system too but its all ceiling mounted and exhausts outside so its not really an issue.  Additionally, Im looking to install some type of spray booth soon

Wayne,

If you have Excel I did mine on a spreadsheet. I could email it to you. My shop was 46 X 23. Let me know. 

Mike
Grizzly has a shop lay out program on their website that can really help you out. I used it to layout my main shop area and haven't moved anything since. BTW, that space is only 19'x 9'8", I'm really envy the space you have.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

You may have already done these, and not exactly original suggestions:

Put your jointer, tablesaw and planer somewhere where they don't have to be moved every time you use them. Share infeed/outfeed "dead space"

Store some lumber/scraps under your outfeed table and mitre saw stand.

Have workbench do double duty as outfeed table. I even saw one guy that had his CNC do double duty as an outfeed table when not in use (although that makes it tough to do other stuff while CNC is running).

Combine what you can.. router table in a table saw wing. I have a vertical router which I use as the "left table saw wing" (it's at the same height, I have no left tablesaw wing.
I put old filing cabinets under some dead space on the right saw (half height, 2 drawers.. good for portable power tools).

Go through all your tools.. put all the electrical stuff in a box/tote, same with plumbing, same with woodworking accessories that are seldom used.. Store those on a high shelf or out of the way.. you want to save the premium storage space/drawers for stuff you use often.

I like the peachtree sawblade holders.. that freed up a drawer: https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_sawblades_rack.html

The clamp holders which protrude out save wall space:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodw...gJQz_D_BwE

I have my drill press and bandsaw pushed against the wall. My rolling tool storage drawers open into the space that I stand when I use the bandsaw. The drill press has stuff adjacent, If I need more space for a long piece (not very often) I pull it out from the wall on the mobile base.. same with bandsaw.. not a lot of outfeed space, because I Don't often BS long pieces, but your work habits might be different.

You can put storage under the "infeed" area of the jointer, as long as the board can pass over lol

Try not to devote floor space to pure storage items. I am making a little bench area to put my Tormek, I am making it tall enough to put the rolling tool cabinet under it, so I am gaining table space, while not losing any more floor space.

I also have shelves on tracks, similiar to this link below.. The nice thing is that you can put bracket up as needed to store parts you are cutting, then when the project is done, you can remove to free up space..
.https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/shelves-shelving-units/shelf-brackets-accessories/john-sterling-trade-single-track-10-shelf-bracket/0096-10bk/p-1444436972825-c-12645.htm

Lastly, I parked my lathe next to the CNC. (Back of lathe against back of CNC).. not only did that free up space, but put a stepper on the lathe and can use as a rotary axis. Moving the lathe freed up space to put the jointer in a place where it's always ready to go.

Hope that helps, I know nothing I posted is really a new idea, but a big part of it is justifying every inch of wall and floor space that you take up and trying to purge what you can. (Or at least park seldom used tools where they have to be rolled out).
Like I hate to say this.. It's blashphemy, but do you really need an 8 x 8 assembly table lol.
I have a 24' x 30' shop and everything except for my 2 drill presses is on wheels. It makes it very easy to make room for projects.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry