Flammable safety cabinet for finishes
Question 
Flammable safety cabinet for finishes.

I've been just storing finishes on my shop floor in milk and wooden crates.  What do you all recommend as a best practice to store them 
safely that won't break the bank?

I see cabinets like the following, but it's a bit more than I want to spend:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sandusky-SC450F...150&sr=8-3

Thanks,

Dave
Keeping yourself, your shop, your tools, your home and even your family safe (if your shop is your garage) safe is worth that kind of money.

I store all my flammable in a flam locker. It's a full size locker. Being an ex firefighter I've seen first hand what these chemicals can do and it ain't pretty.. So I highly recommend getting one.

Check CL. Sometimes shops that are going out of business well sell them.
Thumbs Up 
(01-12-2020, 04:12 PM)Koda64 Wrote: Keeping yourself, your shop, your tools, your home and even your family safe (if your shop is your garage) safe is worth that kind of money.

I store all my flammable in a flam locker. It's a full size locker. Being an ex firefighter I've seen first hand what these chemicals can do and it ain't pretty.. So I highly recommend getting one.

Check CL. Sometimes shops that are going out of business well sell them.

Thanks Koda
That's certainly what I'm looking for....but I don't need one quite that large.It's only the solvent based finishes (and the solvents themselves)  need to keep safe and one that size would be overkill for the inventory I usually have on hand. I'd like to get a second one for my reloading supplies (smokeless powder). I keep watching CL hoping to snag one or maybe 2.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-12-2020, 03:09 PM)davco Wrote: Flammable safety cabinet for finishes.

I've been just storing finishes on my shop floor in milk and wooden crates.  What do you all recommend as a best practice to store them 
safely that won't break the bank?

I see cabinets like the following, but it's a bit more than I want to spend:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sandusky-SC450F...150&sr=8-3

Thanks,

Dave

I have one this size but only because it was free.  Surprisingly its full too
An old refrigerator in a pinch until a flame cab can be procured.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Watch craigslist and local auctions.

I got one from a local car audio business that closed down. Its one of the ones thats like 50" wide and 36" tall. IIRC it was $150. Retail was like $700 when I bought it.

Ive seen at least 50 over the past two years at least.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I use a metal Craftsman shop cabinet.  When they were Sears, they were on sale often enough that I got mine on sale.  I doubt I spent more than $200 on it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Just curious as to the dangers you all see with just storing these products in shop made cabinets or just having them on a shelf.

Do you smoke in your shop?  Do you have open flame somewhere in the shop?

I have maybe a half dozen quarts of poly and oil along with a few gallon of lacquer thinner, DA, mineral spirits stored in my wood cabinets.

Just wondering what you see the real danger here being.

~Kris
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
A long time ago, I found that standard file cabinet drawers are the perfect height for both rattle cans (large and standard), and gallons of solvents,  I went to the Habitat Restore and got a couple large cabinets to replace my standard skinny one. One I use under the wing of my table saw for blades and stuff, and the other I made into a miter saw station. It came with a desk top I raised up on a frame (the whole thing is on a piece of 1/2' OSB so I can move it easily). I insulated it with foam board and added a gun cabinet heater. Keeps my glues and stuff above freezing (detached garage). I have plenty of room for brushes, painters pyramids, rollers, etc in there too. It's metal... near the garage door... sturdy... I know it't not a true flammables cabinet, but like you I looked and they're expensive. I still keep my eye out for sales, I'd consider adding one and transferring some things to it down the line. But for $25 plus some materials this was tough to beat. 

[Image: WZmMIZeCkvkizXzpyI9v7pNANkcW7UFwZJ8Yu7uW...97-h929-no]
Benny