I need some help from the forum members
I have 3 Stanley no.45 planes (this is not a gloat) only one which has any sort of box (a pasteboard box w/o a lid).  I managed to acquire some Wormy Chestnut and would like
to make boxes to store my planes in.  I have toured the Web and while there are all sorts of pictures, none show the internal storage of the plane parts.   I did find a box in
a antique store w/plane inside (they were very proud of that item, and I don't need a fourth no. 45).  The measurements are: 6" wide X 6"tall X 12"long.  I am assuming that the plane is dismantled to fit in the box.  Would anyone , hoarders and/or collectors, be willing to take some pictures of the plane in the box for me???

Thanks
Ray
(01-13-2020, 10:43 AM)oarlock Wrote: I have 3 Stanley no.45 planes (this is not a gloat) only one which has any sort of box (a pasteboard box w/o a lid).  I managed to acquire some Wormy Chestnut and would like
to make boxes to store my planes in.  I have toured the Web and while there are all sorts of pictures, none show the internal storage of the plane parts.   I did find a box in
a antique store w/plane inside (they were very proud of that item, and I don't need a fourth no. 45).  The measurements are: 6" wide X 6"tall X 12"long.  I am assuming that the plane is dismantled to fit in the box.  Would anyone , hoarders and/or collectors, be willing to take some pictures of the plane in the box for me???

Thanks
Ray

I found/saved the follow from Pinterest:  https://wb8nbs.wordpress.com/category/wo...ox-joints/

May be helpful

-Brian
(01-13-2020, 10:43 AM)oarlock Wrote: I have 3 Stanley no.45 planes (this is not a gloat) only one which has any sort of box (a pasteboard box w/o a lid).  I managed to acquire some Wormy Chestnut and would like

Thanks
Ray

The plane is dismantled to fit in the box.  The box with the cutters rests against the side, but mine doesn't have any internal fittings or anything to cradle the plane body.  It's just a finger-jointed chestnut box.  I keep thinking that I'll make a fitted box for it.  But so far I haven't gotten a round tuit!

DC
Mine was patterned off  the one from Roxton Pond, QUE. CAN.

That the USPS used as a "football".....

Cutters were held in 2 slots...

corners are just finger jointed..

There was a strip along the bottom, set at an angle with a few holes drilled in it.  Holes were a place to stash the spurs and their bolts..

Plane is torn down to fit everything inside.   That strip along the bottom also keeps things from sliding around too much...

Wood I used was just some 3/8" thick Poplar....

Anything else?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Try this old thread https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=6664576 I asked the same question, but unfortunately, it hasn't gotten off my "to do list'.
Thanks for all of the ideas
Big Grin
Big Grin.   I am leaning towards a a bigger box than what I originally envisaged, the fact that I have 2 sets of blades in the original wooden sleeves
complicates the storage issues.  Again, thanks for the information (Toolmiser: the pictures did not show up for the link that you sent
Sad).  Now, I need to find my Incra box joint
jig and get to making boxes.
Ray
Ray, if you intend to use it,  I suggest you skip the original box design - IMO,  it makes it a pain to use.  I think Sargent offered a box that was far more convenient, and I made mine somewhat similar -  it makes it much easier to use.    I posted some photos of the box I made for my 45 a while back, let me know if you are interested, and I will post it again.
Based on BarryVaBeach's comment, I found this thread where he posted pictures.  They do look more useful than the original Stanley style box.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7662446
Barryvabeach:  Yes I would be interested in seeing those Pics.

Ray