Grizzly 20" planer--any experiences?
It's about time to upgrade from my ~20 year old Ridgid planer. Thinking about upgrading to a Grizzly 20", G0454Z with the spiral indexable cutterhead. Does anyone have any unbiased reviews? Would you recommend it? For the price and capacity, it seems like the best bang for my buck, but would like to hear from someone who has one before I spend more than I did on several cars I've owned over the years...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...ead/G0454Z
My 20"er is a 1997 model. I'd buy it again. Very reliable
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ive got a 15 year old 15" grizzly with installed byrd cutter and looking to upgrade to a 20" as well.  Following
I have the same one. Purchased in dec 2006 with straight blades. Have now installed the Grizzly spiral cutter. I have had no issues with the machine it’s in a home shop so some what light use over time but used on every project. Have not made any adjustments since set up or installing the cutter head I got this to replace a 15 year old delta 12” totally different machine. Would buy again and after having the 20 would not want smaller
Good luck
Gary
I have the G0454 and upgraded to a Byrd style head almost immediately. At the time I could buy the base machine and head cheaper than the G0454Z. The machine has been in service for over 10 years and has never given me any issues.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
This is the time to consider whether to go spiral or helical. (For reference, the Byrd head is helical.) The G1033 is helical and the G0454Z is spiral. There are arguments that the shearing action of the helical head provides a smother cut. I specifically chose the G1033 over the G0454 for the helical head and gladly paid the extra $300. YMMV
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I have both helical and spiral and you would be hard pressed to notice any significant difference in the surfaced material. IME the helical head might have slightly less tearout but you also have to deal with more scalloping. IMO it's not really a situation where one is better than the other and they are both darn good.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Wink 
I've got the G1033, plane w/ knives.  Very reliable.

BTW, castings are identical to PM, Jet.

With a spiral head, you'll have a nice planer.
(01-14-2020, 05:58 PM)HudTuck Wrote: It's about time to upgrade from my ~20 year old Ridgid planer. Thinking about upgrading to a Grizzly 20", G0454Z with the spiral indexable cutterhead. Does anyone have any unbiased reviews? Would you recommend it? For the price and capacity, it seems like the best bang for my buck, but would like to hear from someone who has one before I spend more than I did on several cars I've owned over the years...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...ead/G0454Z

I have the G0453Z - 15" 3 HP Planer with Spiral Cutterhead and absolutely love it.  If the larger one is anything like the small brother it has to be fantastic.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-15-2020, 10:37 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I have both helical and spiral and you would be hard pressed to notice any significant difference in the surfaced material. IME the helical head might have slightly less tearout but you also have to deal with more scalloping. IMO it's not really a situation where one is better than the other and they are both darn good.

I have (had - not sold yet) an 8" jointer with a Byrd head in it and now have a 12" Grizzly jointer with the spiral head in it.   I agree that anyone would be very hard pressed to see any significant difference in the cut from the different heads.   I have not noticed any scalloping with the Byrd head, for whatever that is worth.   I was concerned about fewer cutters on the spiral head vs the Byrd, but it doesn't appear to matter.  As stated, both are darn good.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker