Drill press table question.
I have an old bench model drill press that when new had a special jig for holding bowling balls for drilling hand grip holes.  It never had a table like I see in all the you tube videos on building a drill press table, all it has is its base which sits on the workbench. In learning this flat stock wood working I'm trying not to assume things, but that base in my mind should be treated as if it were the floating table one finds on a floor stand drill press, right?

I'm working on a simple design from Instructables that will use the Microjig dovetail slots rather than T-track. Right now with my toy project I just want to be able to accurately drill axle holes for the wheels on the various vehicles I'm making.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Jim, I have built a bench press table with the intention of using the Microjig clamps ...

[Image: DP9a.jpg]

These will work, but in a limited manner as they are very directional. That is, they do not swivel, as the Incra hold downs do. The Microjig clamps can only face in the direction of the track.

I posted about a month ago about this table ...

[Image: Wixey2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Jim,
I think if you use t-track you will have a lot more options.  As Derek pointed out the microjig can only be used in a 'straight on' configuration.  The knuckle clamps made by Woodpeckers are perhaps the best I have ever used.  Here's a picture:

Lonnie

PS  Did you buy your drill press new?  It's going to be hard to use if it doesn't have a table that you can raise and lower
Jim,
Rockler also makes stops to help position your work.  This is a picture of their long stop.  They also make a short stop and a 90* stop.

Lonnie

Mr Eddie said
PS  Did you buy your drill press new?  It's going to be hard to use if it doesn't have a table that you can raise and lower

It came with a bowling pro shop package I bought in the late 70's. It does not have a table, never had one.  The ball drilling jig was mounted to the base.

Jim

There is a good chance
Stoppy, if you're interested in equipping your drill press with a table, there are lots available online. I find DP tables for all size columns and they are not expensive. Search eBay for your DP's manufacturer and "drill press table." Column size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even by model within one manufacturer's line-up. If you don't find a table for your specific machine check out other manufacturers. If the column size is the same as your press, their table will work with your machine.
If you want holes in the center of the wheels, a mini metal lathe would be prefect for that, or a setup chuck for the wood lathe where you could center the wheel then use a tailstock adapter to drill the hole using a drill chuck- but even then, it may not be perfect.

Another way (among others) is to drill the needed sized hole in the stock first, then center the stock in the wood lathe chuck using that hole and then turn it- that way the hole is perfectly centered.

Just depends on what tolerances your wanting or expecting.
(01-20-2020, 08:08 AM)stoppy Wrote: Mr Eddie said

It came with a bowling pro shop package I bought in the late 70's. It does not have a table, never had one.  The ball drilling jig was mounted to the base.

That looks like the old Delta 17" press.  You can certainly use it without the table.  IIRC it had about a 6" stroke.  You can always raise and lower the head, though it may be a bit on the heavy side to do it.  Another alternative would be to find a table off another press.  Doesnt have to be Delta, but there are parts around if you look.  Measure the column diameter and look for one with a clamp that would fit.  You could even fabricate something that might work out of wood.  Lots of options.  And that is a nice machine.

[Image: 49041-8f66235eb162f82d59cde6e2137ef3bb.jpg]
It's a Sprunger Drill Press made in Ligonier, Indiana.  

From Vintage Machinery.org. : When the company moved to Ligonier, the castings were outsourced. Per David Fry (former Sprunger employee): The drill press that was set up to drill bowling balls was one of 50 that were ordered by Brunswick. They did not have the table assembled on them. ... It was supposedly when they went to the cast iron tables

You can't see it in the pic but the drill press is sitting in the cash register dropdown of the old back bar counter that I have repurposed in my shop. I'm going to laminate 2 pcs 3/4" plywood the width of the dropdown with the top piece fitted with Microjig MatchFit hardware and dovetail slots. There's 5" of space on each side of the base in the dropdown.  I'll use blocks of 4x4 material cut to fit to support the table w/o mounting it to the press. 
Jim

There is a good chance