Cutting Board with Inlay
Seeing the wonderful re-use justdraftn made of his inlay test boards in his thread 'Latest projects' got me to dig out my inlay cutting board pics.  I saw this in Fine Woodworking or on YouTube; I can't remember which.  They can be a little challenging but, a few jigs and some patience will get you there.

Like a lot of smaller projects, I could never really make any money off of them.  They are just too labor intensive.  This same level of effort makes them wonderful gifts though.  This one is an edge grain maple base with walnut, cherry and padauk inlays.

The blank is a straight forward glue up.

I lightly pencil a wave or curve to get an idea of the scale of the pattern.  I transfer the pattern to a template cut out on the bandsaw and rasped to final shape.

I double-tape a block the same thickness as the template to a router base to act as a stabilizing foot and template route the wave.  I make this routed cut about 3/8" deep.  It is a guideline for the bandsaw and the routed walls acts as guides for the flush trim routing step.

I then bandsaw out the waste

I will show the glue up a little more later but, here is the first color in place and smoothed out.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Once the first bandsaw cut is made I flush the spoil on the two parts to prepare them to receive the first inlay strip.

This is one of those things that looks like a porcupine once you have it in the clamps.  You can see I made up a few fixtures to keep things relatively flat and to keep the two halves from shifting along the arc of the wave.

Template route the next curve, bandsaw the thing in half, flush route and repeat.  It seems a little wonky to bandsaw something you just finished glueing up but, it's a process.

I draw the curves I want for the sides and ends.

I add the juice groove while the thing is still squared off as it is easier to use a straight edge as a reference.

I bandsaw most of the curved edge waste off and then sand to the line on a disc sander.

Give it an edge profile at the router table and it is ready for some detail work and the finishing process.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I built a quick router table fence that semi-matched the curve of the ends of the board.  This allows me to route a cove for a hand grip on each end.

I've never been a fan of feet on cutting boards.  I tend to use the juice groove side for meats and the flat side for veggies.

The finish is mineral oil.  I'm sure others have noticed that dietary mineral oil in the pharmacy section is under $2 while the 'Super-Dooper-Cutting-Board-Oil' is about $15.  While there are expensive products that add waxes and other oils, I have boards that have been in service for a decade with mineral oil only.  I include a little 'care and feeding' manual and a couple ounces of mineral oil when I hand them over. 

Some folks do better than others with the care and feeding.  Here's one a SIL abused for a year; left to soak, never oiled, sheesh!

I was able to run it through the drum sander and re-oil it.  She promised to take better care in the future . . . . .

Very nicely done.  I really like it
Some people here complain that recipients don’t use the cutting boards. Abuse or not, looks like SIL enjoys her gift.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
My daughter returned her daily use knife I made her from a woodcraft kit, so I could make her a nice leather sheath.
While I had the knife, I sharpened it, refinished the wood, and polished the blade, as well as made the carved leather sheath.
When he mom called and told her it was on the way, she said, " Dad cleaned it up, looks like new. "

My daughter laughter laughed, "I knew he would."

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
GeeDub - what router bit are you using there in your table setup ... to cut the finger holds?

Thanks
HOPS
H.O.P.S.

advance apologies… I kill threads
(01-24-2020, 10:00 AM)H.O.P.S. Wrote: GeeDub - what router bit are you using there in your table setup ... to cut the finger holds?

Thanks
HOPS

It is a 3/8" radius edge fluting bit. I picked up a couple at one of the shows.  They are a budget brand.  Woodline I think.  I have also cut them with a cove bit doing one half of the cut hright and then flipping the board to cut the balance of the finger groove height.  I like the profile of the edge fluting bit better.

Thank you! ... 17 characters
H.O.P.S.

advance apologies… I kill threads
Looks great!! You're sure getting your mileage out of those clamps
Smile Ever done this kind of inlay on an end grain board?
Benny