My Current Workbench
I referred to my last workbench as TNW, the "next" workbench.  I call this one TNNW, the "next, next" workbench since it seems that in my world, a workbench is an evolving thing.  The TNNW came about because I built the previous bench too large.  Excess flat space can attract random crap and hang onto it tenaciously, refusing to let it be removed, put away or thrown out
Big Grin .

I liked the 30" depth which is deeper than a lot of benches but, the length was excessive.  I ended up looking for something like this.

Fortunately I already had a nice large flat level surface to build the new bench on.  Finding a surface like this to build a bench on is a stumbling block.  I decided to go with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF on top of 2 layers of 3/4" ply as this top construction had worked surprisingly well for me over the years.  I know this flies in the face of tradition but, I have had benches of various types and this construction is currently serving me well.  This laminating method is done by making one layer the exact final dimension you are after.  I use screws and weights for clamps.  The screws are removed . . . well, I guess the weights are too but, you know what I mean.

You can now laminate on the next layer slightly oversized.  Once the glue is dry I use a flush trim bit to even it up to the first layer.  Rinse and repeat making sure your sides stay nice and perpendicular to the surface.

I decided to go with poplar for the base as this too had provided good service on the previous bench.  When milling long stock you want to have good support.  If you find yourself muscling your material through the operation you may not get good results.

I have often said; when you need a pipe clamp, a pipe clamp is good to have.

I have a lot of various clamps but, pipe clamps are still my go-to for long work.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I have used various tail and shoulder vises over the years.  I decided to go with twin screw vises on this one.  The front vise is integrated into the front trim and then removed prior to assembly of the top and trim.

A bevel is recommended for the front chop.  I wish I would have tested this before adding it.  The recommended bevel was more than I wanted and I had to take it back quite a bit.  This cost me a little bit of chop thickness.

Here is the trim installed with the rear vise chops integrated.

I plane the chop flush with the top while the chop is under pressure.

The rub plates are made from some scrap packing material that I brought home from work.  Laminated to some wood spacers to get the right thickness this UHMW material works well.

BTW, this "free" anti-static UHMW material was actually quite expensive.  I failed to realize it was anti-static material until it fired my Saw Stop
Upset .  It was, however, a lesson I only had to learn once
Yes .
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I break down the poplar to start making the base.

There is a square at the top of each leg.  These will have a 1-1/4" hole in them to receive a large dowel.  The top rests on these dowels at each corner and the weight holds it in place.

There are receiver holes in the underside of the top.  The dowels are rounded off like a bullet, waxed and then driven home from the underside of the frame.

I also add adjustable feet.  My previous shops have been in garages and we all know how flat and smooth those can be
Rolleyes .

I use a chisel as a king sized marking knife to mark out for a notch to fit the leg up to the base.

I test fit the base to top structures.

Time to roll the top onto the base.  I found that the offer of free beer can get neighbors to help you do all sorts of things.  You can see that I have added the end panels here.  These provide stability and "end cap" storage.  I also add a shelf for drawer units.

Time for a bunch-o-dog holes.

I added leather to the front chops.  This small addition gives me a lot better grip with a lot less pressure.

The twin screw vises are non-racking so you can do things like this.

Of course, eventually we start using the bench and it ends up like this.

Just kidding,  I have the drawers open just to show them.  This drawer unit is from a couple of benches ago but, seems to live on.

The finish is a flood of BLO on all surfaces. The top gets paste waxed. I find I have to re-wax the top every year or so to keep the missed glue drips popping right off.

Unconventional? Yes, but it certainly works just fine. The evidence is in after all, the
projects you have shown the last few posts certainly attest to that!

Nice shop too. I notice what appears to be a "bench on bench" in the last shot, with
a Lee Valley inset vise. I use mine as a tail vise, but I suspect, like you, I am not on
my 'last' bench. Some day it may get similar duty as yours.

Thanks for posting!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I put the similar style end vise on the face of my bench as well and LOVE it there. I'm surprised you dont see that more often. Seems natural to me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

This gives me hope. I'd love a beautiful Ruebo, but am scared of taking on such a project with so many others in the queue. Instead I'm going to build mine from BB ply and MDF.
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-19-2020, 02:05 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I put the similar style end vise on the face of my bench as well and LOVE it there. I'm surprised you dont see that more often. Seems natural to me.

I'm with you.  Here's the previous bench.

When I moved to the twin screw vises I was already used to the config.

BTW --- I realized I said 4 layers of 3/4" MDF.  It is 2 layers of 3/4" MDF on top of 2 layers of 3/4" ply.  I've corrected this in the original post.