Console Table
Latest project out of the shop for some friends of mine.....

48" wide x 12" deep x 32" tall

All out of poplar.  Sherwin Williams Pro Classic paint and GF Java Gel Stain with 3 coats Arm-R-Seal topped with a coat of brown wax

They wanted the distressing done to match a kitchen table they had.  

Turned legs had to closely match the kitchen table as well.

Couple things I learned from this one.....

1.  Mad respect for production turners.  I fussed over getting all four legs to match.  Spent probably a little too much time doing that.
2.  I really like a three point tool for fine tuning beads, but the skew chisel is THE tool for between center turning.  Little more practice with the skew and I could keep the three point on the rack.  Got to reduce those run backs 
Wink

Other than that, pretty straight forward.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Classic lines, nicely done. Curious what means used to attach the top...
This sort of table has been on my bucket list for sometime. Nicely done. Every time I see one I’m inspired to get on with the one I’d like to build.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(01-20-2020, 09:08 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Classic lines, nicely done. Curious what means used to attach the top...

Z clips.  Three per side.  Ran a 1/8" slot down down the long aprons and the clips hook into that.

With a single board for the top the board shrinkage/movement calculator only shows about a 1/16" of movement expected.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Z clips make sense, pretty much what I figured
Thanks
Really like the grain on the table top.  Very nice job of finishing overall, as well.

As for the skew chisel:  I have two; both fight me every time I use them, or I fight them.  They always win.  
Crazy

One of these days, I'm just going to have to man up, put a stack of spindle blanks next to the lathe and start spinning away with those skews.  I must make them submit to my will...
(01-20-2020, 12:35 PM)WxMan Wrote: Really like the grain on the table top.  Very nice job of finishing overall, as well.

As for the skew chisel:  I have two; both fight me every time I use them, or I fight them.  They always win.  
Crazy

One of these days, I'm just going to have to man up, put a stack of spindle blanks next to the lathe and start spinning away with those skews.  I must make them submit to my will...

Exactly what I did.  Mount up a blank and practice, practice and practice.  I found by doing that for a few minutes before I turned the actual legs helped to get warmed up.

There are some YT videos out there with Alan Lacer that really helps understand the nuances of the skew.  

Definitely one of my go to tools now.
Nicely done.  Good contrast of light and dark.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Nothing not to like about that.  Poplar has never looked better than that top.  Very well done, sir.  

John
Excellent work. (Extra characters...)
-Marc