Looking forward to this Plane reunion
After a couple weeks of some heavier planing jobs, not just final smoothing jobs, I was less happy with that old "red blade".   I really don't think it was HSS after all.  It was on the thin side, and I had aggravated the thinness when I "de-pitted" it on the strip-sander.   I also had introduced some slight "crowning" on the non-beveled surface of the blade with that strip-sander.

So.... I got in a NOS ECE Primus blade lately, all the way from England!   It's definitely thicker and flatter, bends less when the chipbreaker is tightened, and actually doesn't really need the hollow-grind that I had put in the chipbreaker edge a few weeks ago.   The only drawback was that I had to cut off some of the top of the blade to avoid interference with the depth knob in this Howal plane.

Now working better and chattering less!

Chris
Chris