Help! New house = new shop
Looks like we are going to be moving to an new house that, by almost every measure, is a better house than the one we have. That’s the good news. 

The bad news is that I have a big decision about what to do about my shop. The new house actually has a dedicated shop (see first 4 pics) but it’s only 22x10 with the 10 ft width the obvious issue. (My current shop is 18.5 x 14.5.) My gut instinct is that I could redo it and make it quite usable, save for the table saw. Which I believe leaves me three options...

1. Try to make the table saw work anyhow. My thoughts are leave a gap in the side wall bench/cabinets (I will redo those regardless) and with the table saw on wheels, roll it in and out. Still seems would be pretty tight to use it, plus the saw top would have to be higher than the bench top, but maybe workable?

2. Learn to live without the table saw. I have some Festool tools, including their table and sliding saw, and I’ve noted that Festool’s philosophy is that the table/saw combo can do just about anything a table saw can. (I would then put the table saw in the garage for occasions I really need it.)

3. Which leads me to the other option of just setup my shop in the garage entirely. It’s a good sized 2-car garage (last two pics below) and certainly more than ample for a shop. (Plus the dedicated workshop is not close to the garage should I choose option 2 above and need to go back and forth to the table saw a lot.) My anxiety with this option is that I have lots of other uses in mind for the garage, particularly my dirt bikes and expansive sporting gear, and the idea of a crowded garage and sawdust on everything (despite all my dust equipment) makes this choice not so obvious, not to mention, the actual shop goes to waste.

I’d really appreciate any input before the moving process begins. Wherever that table sas gets placed, I don’t want to have to move it!

Attached Files Image(s)

Plans? Who needs plans? They're in my head!
I have two shops. One is part of the garage.
ShopSmith/table saw/compressor live out there.
All the big stuff gets done out there.

Basement shop. 12'x13' bedroom. Band saw/planer/scroll saw/sanders
all live back there. Very compact. Works well.
Between the two, anything is possible.
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
You're actually gaining space in the move, nice.  The question is, what does your table saw setup look like?  Is it something that is/could be mobile and rolled under a wall bench when not in use?  That is what I do with mine.  It is less convenient that having it out and ready to go, but that is the only way I can support it in the space I have.  Actually all of my tools save the workbench are used in this way.
Option 1, over time ig it doesn't work out you can consider the garage thing. You shouldn't expect to have the right decision from the getgo, it will work itself out over time...so starting with 22x10 for a shop seems reasonable.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Stage 1 - Set the tablesaw in the garage - and any other tools needed for the next stage.

Stage 2 - Add on to the existing "shop" - at 10 feet wide that is NOT a shop for power tools.

Stage 3 (upon completion of Stage 2) - Move tablesaw and any other tools currently located in the garage to the new shop.

Stage 4 - Put the vehicle in the garage - cuz that is what garages are for.

Additional comment:  I sure wish I would have had a place to use my tools . . . while I was using my tools . . . to build my shop.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I know a lot of shops are smaller than 10x22 and function without a TS, but that is not for me.  Having a separate shop has its advantages.  If it were me, the TS would go in the garage on a mobile base for now.  If the TS location became a problem, I'd look at enlarging the shop.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I'd right the dirt bikes right through those french doors leading into the narrow workshop and use the garage for a dedicated wood shop (it already has the wood lined walls
Wink )
(01-21-2020, 08:23 AM)Tahoe Gator Wrote: Looks like we are going to be moving to an new house that, by almost every measure, is a better house than the one we have. That’s the good news. 

The bad news is that I have a big decision about what to do about my shop. The new house actually has a dedicated shop (see first 4 pics) but it’s only 22x10 with the 10 ft width the obvious issue. (My current shop is 18.5 x 14.5.) My gut instinct is that I could redo it and make it quite usable, save for the table saw. Which I believe leaves me three options...

1. Try to make the table saw work anyhow. My thoughts are leave a gap in the side wall bench/cabinets (I will redo those regardless) and with the table saw on wheels, roll it in and out. Still seems would be pretty tight to use it, plus the saw top would have to be higher than the bench top, but maybe workable?

2. Learn to live without the table saw. I have some Festool tools, including their table and sliding saw, and I’ve noted that Festool’s philosophy is that the table/saw combo can do just about anything a table saw can. (I would then put the table saw in the garage for occasions I really need it.)

3. Which leads me to the other option of just setup my shop in the garage entirely. It’s a good sized 2-car garage (last two pics below) and certainly more than ample for a shop. (Plus the dedicated workshop is not close to the garage should I choose option 2 above and need to go back and forth to the table saw a lot.) My anxiety with this option is that I have lots of other uses in mind for the garage, particularly my dirt bikes and expansive sporting gear, and the idea of a crowded garage and sawdust on everything (despite all my dust equipment) makes this choice not so obvious, not to mention, the actual shop goes to waste.

I’d really appreciate any input before the moving process begins. Wherever that table sas gets placed, I don’t want to have to move it!

How about a shed for the bikes and other stuff. I was going to build a shed from scratch 4 years ago. I priced material and found that a fiberglass shed kit cost no more than a scratch built one. I put the 7x10 shed in a day and a half. 
mike
The 10' looks like it gets reduced to ~5' between the stairs (fall hazard) and the sink. That "shop" has no room for a TS, BS, jointer, planer, or workbench in its current configuration.

I would suggest moving the fridge back beyond the steps and adding a nice assembly-table/workbench in the end near the French doors. Use it for assembly and finishing (away from the dust sources in the garage). Add a handrail or something to those steps so that you do not accidentally step back into the well and break your neck or skull in the fall.

Put the woodworking shop in the garage so the sawdust stays out of the house.

If you want to use part of the garage for the bikes and their maintenance, hang a floor to ceiling dust barrier made out of plastic (painter's drop roll works fine) to separate the sawdust area from the grease area.

JMHO
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Why not clear some of those cabinets and other things out of the shop to make room for bikes and sporting gear and use the garage for woodworking?