Spray Booth Completed
I finally completed my spray booth that I'm going to be using quite a bit here in the next several weeks.  Right now I have 26 drawer boxes in the shop ready to spray and then upper cabinets for our kitchen are up after that.

First off, i only spray water-borne materials.  No solvent based materials are sprayed.  I only do those outside.

So the basics....

Back panel is 5' wide x 8' tall.  There are four 24" x 30" furnace filters that go in the frame work in front of the fans.  I left them out so you can see the fans.

Two wings walls are 1/4" plywood with 1x4's around the perimeter on the back side.  They are simply joined to the back panel with loose pin hinges.  I can pull the hinges pins and the wings walls come off in seconds.

The top panel is simply a 1x4 frame with plastic stapled to the top to allow light through.  The frame is secured to the wing walls only with a 1/4" clevis pin in each wall.  Simply pull the two pins and the top comes off.

The box assembly for the fans includes the filter frame, top and bottom shelves with french cleats for ease of assembly and two 1/2" side panels that are fastened to the filter frame.  You may notice the bronze hinges on the filter frame.  That allows the upper and lower portion of the back panel to fold in to take the panel down to a 4' x 5' size for storage.

The fans are bolted to 3/4" MDO plywood pieces.  I can use the fans in two ways.  Secured to the filter frame or they also can in the double hung window you see to the right.  I normally put the fans in the windows and exhaust directly outside.  If it's brutally cold outside, I use the fans on the back of the filter box as they are pictured.  When placed in the windows, I simply shove the booth against the wall/window.

I can assemble this booth in less than 10 minutes.  

It has proved very helpful in capturing over spray in the shop and I don't have that thick haze in the air after spraying.

I also use a lazy susan bearing between two pieces of plywood which makes a great swivel stand for spraying parts.

As a bonus, here is my drying rack.  I simply change out the two stretchers for different lengths to make the rack wider or narrower.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Thumbs Up 
That's a very nice set-up! I have a question: Do you spray petroleum based paints? If so, do you worry about fire/explosion with regular box fans?
(01-21-2020, 12:44 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: That's a very nice set-up! I have a question: Do you spray petroleum based paints? If so, do you worry about fire/explosion with regular box fans?

Nope.  Only water-borne products.  I apply oils and polys either outside if spraying or by hand if inside.

Drawer boxes I'm spraying now I use GF high performance.  Cabinets that are coming up I use SW's Pro Classic
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Well thought out, I need to do something like that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a similar booth I made based on info in teh spray basics book. I use an attic fan and I also direct larger fans into it. I use pink xps foam for walls and they attach together with industrial self stick velcro. Fan sits on a workbench in back (stanley workmate type). I use one filter - cheapest one I can find. I put rosin paper on walls and floor - easy and cheap to replace.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Are the fans intake or exhaust?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-22-2020, 09:27 AM)Cooler Wrote: Are the fans intake or exhaust?

Exhaust.  I open another door on the other side of the shop and another fan blowing into the booth for make up air
Looks great, that is going to make finishing much less of a chore.
Breakdown booth looks great.

Drawers and cabs are much easier to spray if you leave the drawer bottoms and cabinet backs off.
Nothing blowing back into your face, all over the gun....etc....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Well done.  I'm interested to hear how long it takes for the filters to slag up.  I tried a similar approach when I first started spraying, although with only two filters compared to your 4, and they slagged up very quickly.  I soon found it better to just forget the filters.  I didn't care if the overspray dust got blown outside and as long as the fans weren't rendered useless I was happy.  

John